1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

UI-Geddon is live

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Alarra, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

It seems that the Default UI everyone for a week or so is up.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

Or just copy your custom UI into the Default folder and don't run the patcher until next week.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

I always used the default UI. Holdover when I played WoW and everytime it was patched, it broke our custom UI for about 2 days before we could patch it. You try doing pvp with a broken UI... its no fun at all!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Does "broken UI" include the EQ2 vanilla UI? Because, honestly...

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

I'm kind of shocked to see so many people on the official forums defending the default UI. It's really not well designed compared to other MMOs. Heck I was trying WoW for the last month or so and the default UI in that game is far superior to EQ2's, and the community still seems to think it's not great.

I get Daybreak's reason for not improving it though. Anyone who cares is already on a custom UI so why waste dev time on it. Though I do think they should try to set the UI up reasonably well for new accounts so they aren't overwhelmed by how awful it is before they discover custom UIs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

You'd think they would at least have included some option for the default blue set instead of forcing everyone into eye-strain red. Obviously they have forgotten about the last UI-geddon when they introduced that abomination. I just patched and copied my files over. And hid my normal desktop launchpad icons to avoid any mishaps. :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  7. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

I could never get the blue to stick. It would revert to red every time I logged back in, so I gave up trying to change it.

The default UI works for me. I don't like having a lot of 3rd party addons to any game - EQ2Maps is the only one I have for EQ2. Having to have so many 3rd party addons for ESO was, along with the horrible movement mechanics, one of the reasons I uninstalled it.

8. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

You have to set it up like any other custom UI to get it to stick, meaning it needs the line in the ini file. If you use eq2maps just drop the files from the default blue folder into the eq2maps folder. Your ini will be set up to use that.

I don't use a full UI, just a dozen or so custom pieces that reduce wasted screen space. And tbh most of them are old default pieces that I retrieved or tweaked after SOE 'broke' them at various times. For instance, the old default map window with the 'resize' option added back after they removed it and the old xp bar without all the bells, whistles and station cash grab buttons :)

9. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I always used as much of the default EQ2 UI as possible simply because I didn't expect things to stay not broken and still supported.

10. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

For me, the best UI I ever saw was for a game called Shadowbane. It was buttons for each ability. You could move those buttons (not in a framework) where you wanted anywhere on the screen and they stayed there. So abilities I used often in combat (its a pvp game) was near the lower center and others grouped according to their usage. Shadowbane died but there is a free version being run by some Russians fans that is Shadowbane with limited changes to it.

11. RhodrisNZ

Sorry, I wasn't clear - I meant the blue colour scheme for the default UI etc that DBG had given us as an option, not EQ2Maps. Haven't a clue about adding lines to files etc; not a programmer.

12. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

If they've 'locked' the UI by forcing the UI to only look in the default directory, that would mean default_blue wouldn't work.

13. RhodrisNZ

I've never been able to get the blue scheme to stick, right from when it was first released/available (years ago). So not just during the UI-Geddon.

14. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I don't know what changes, if any, WoW has made to their default UI, but at launch it was atrocious. The customization level in EQ2 was much greater.

WoW taught my why a player should never rely on a mod to make basic game functions playable. ESO later reinforced that, followed by Conan Exiles - though to be fair CE was specifically designed with player/mod content as a major part of it.

I played EQ2 with EQ2 maps (and layout editor) and I currently play City of Heroes with a similar type mod, vidiot maps.

As much as I detest a lot of the default game UI's and the lack of ergonomic functionality, I found it generally better just to suck it up and adapt than rely on fixes to the add ons. Especially once the popularity of a game starts to wane and mod developers stop maintaining your favorite mods, or stop doing so in a timely manner.

15. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

No, you were clear :)

The blue version is actually a custom UI. EQ2maps is a custom UI. Profit and Darq and all the rest are custom UIs. The problem is that the game will only let you choose and setup a single one out of the list. Since you are already using eq2maps that's why you can't get the blue to stick. If you want to use bits from different UIs you have to physically merge the wanted files into a single folder on your hard disk. In your case, copy the files from the 'default_blue' folder over into the 'eq2maps' folder. Both folders should be sitting under the 'UI' folder in your EQ2 installation folder. If you do that then when eq2maps comes back it should come back blue :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

They've done something like that because now if you type /loadui it goes straight into a reload of default migraine red instead of giving you the popup list from which to choose. See? I did play willing long enough to try that before I dropped all my custom pieces into the default folder :p

17. RhodrisNZ

Ahhh I see - thank you for that. I will have a look at the UI folder once I get my main PC out of storage (have moved cities and currently working on a laptop while I find a job and a new place to live).

18. RhodrisNZ

And....this worked perfectly (playing on the laptop - have to do the same thing on the main PC when I get it back)! Thank you SO much (so much easier than Siggy's "open Notepad, make these changes to this or that line" - all that does is terrify me in case something goes wrong, and I don't have the skills or knowledge to fix it).

19. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

You're very welcome :)

Siggy rarely does things the easiest way, although I have to give her some credit here. I had no idea that the launcher would actually ignore the blue files if you copied them over into the default folder!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1