1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Darkpaw Games

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Fuli, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  2. Semisus

Semisus New Member

I honestly hope they sell off darkpaw studioes to someone who cares

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

Thanks for posting the link to that article Fuli. There were some great comments regarding this possibility. I am copy/pasting a couple of them below because they reflect my sentiments:

"Yeah, just what a company known for incompetence needs, to be split into incompetent parts."

"I’m sure the fact that neither new studio retains the original name has nothing to do with their terrible reputation."

Laughing/Crying at the same time thinking about DBG.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

You've ruined your games. You'll not ruin mine!

shamelessly stolen from Massively.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

Skimming through the comments it seems people's guesses are all over the place and most opinions are negative.

Yep

EDIT: I should add that I honestly believe it's too late at this point to expect much in the way of the cavalry riding in at the last minute unless a super fan has something like a winning lottery ticket or the backing of an ill-informed company.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. omuteef

omuteef Member

Didn't DBG just sell a boat load of lifetime SUBs to there games .............. so now what

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Hard to say why they are doing this. However, it's a solid bet that they made this decision before the lifetime sub offer.

All we have to go on is past behavior indicated by the character of their brand, so, it's likely someone is going to get screwed and DBG is trying to be clever about it.

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. Rosyposy

Rosyposy Active Member

Splitting the company so they can sell it off?

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

More companies more places to spread the money I guess :)

10. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I'm going to guess it'll make it easier to write off and part out the company assets. Probably, it'll also give them enough wiggle room to convince some of the bubble gnomes that things aren't nearly as bad as they seem so they'll keep going along with the program defending the situation until it's too late.

I was amazed watching some of the Landmark supporters as everything was falling apart around them. I saw someone defend the sale of the cosmetic pack in the cash shop even in light of the game closing down deliriously pretending the company didn't know they were going to can the game when they threw the pack on the market and promoted it. Lie to some people the right way, especially people who want to believe the lie, and they'll do your PR work for you apparently.

• Agree Agree x 7
  11. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

If you mean DBG spending money on their titles, I haven't really seen that on most of them. Not beyond the bare minimum, and for some not even that.

If you mean more 'companies' to sell off in a bid to get more money, that I would agree with.

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

I meant legitimize more cash. I saw Victor on line the other day so maybe he will comment :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

Sounds like a way to compartmentalize and make it easier to sell off.
    With the mention of that Bronze Age Trademark it would seem it has been in the works for a while.
    I would speculate (and this is a wild baseless speculation) that they intended to do it earlier but the CN ownership issue came into play.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

If they are reorganizing to sell or liquidate bits off, it looks a whole lot like the market harvesting strategy we were talking about awhile back was a reasonable call.

Also, it's funny that people are now wondering about the lifetime sub offer, when it was pointed out six ways from sunday that the only way that was a rational decision from daybreak was if they planned to shutter or sell titles within 25 months.

Be interesting to see what develops over the next 12 months.

• Agree Agree x 8
  15. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

In other news, it appears DBG has registered a new LLC in Delaware.

Delaware is an awesome state for (1) hiding stuff, (2) filing for bankruptcy.

https://massivelyop.com/2019/07/12/...ting-even-more-new-companies-than-we-thought/

Edit:

For example, split each title into separate entities under the new Delaware LLC. If you sell them, the profits pass through to DBG. If you bankrupt any, any left over losses pass through to DBG to offset any profits earned elsewhere. All the while, their publishing business or any profitable titles are kept out of any bankruptcy proceedings.

It is also worth noting that bankrupting an entity is an effective way to eliminate any severance concerns.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

All "active" DBG people on discord have been more quiet than usual (as if thats a milestone). I wonder if its a huge reshuffle and people have no idea if they have a job next month.

But of course the worst gaming producer in history, Holly Windstalker will be clinging on to her chair despite litteraly murdering one of the founding fathers of MMO gaming. A great feat that totally warrants such position. To this day I still dont understand what she actually does for EQ1 and EQ2 other than getting a paycheck and sucking the teams dry of much needed developer money.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

Yes, it seems that this multi-headed Hydra has made a copy of itself and intends to tear off the heads it doesn't like while leaving the ones it likes, then it burps and dies.
    Leaving its copy to give the prettier heads to the highest bidder in the Chimera Auction house.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

19. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

I want to say I've found odd trademark filings from SOE in previous years. I just shrugged my shoulders and moved on. Honestly I've never seen gaming press dedicate so much space to talking about these filings.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Context matters.

• Agree Agree x 2