1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Goodbye Player Studio

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

On February 26th, Nick Silva, the producer of Planetside 2 and newly minted producer of Player Studio said that the program was being reworked but that approved artists would be able to continue to submit items.

Well that didn't last long.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  2. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

I don't think anyone's surprised at this point but at the same time that's pretty poor planning to sunset it so soon after encouraging people to hurry up and apply if they were going to before March 25th.

Since I have quit it doesn't impact me anymore, but if I were still playing this would sadden me. Many of the best house items were from player studio.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

At least they had the decency (this time) to end the program BEFORE closing the game.

Given that Player Studio (for years) has been the primary source for housing items that aren't just re-used/re-colored models, I think there might be another disgruntled exodus in the near future.

I do hope the artists will continue to be paid their cut for existing items.

(I also have a sneaking suspicion that this might be a prelude to closure, or another drastic reduction in staff/quality/quantity of content)

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I'm actually surprised it lasted as long as it did. Player Studio was always one of those things that could be great if the company stayed on top of it. SOE was never good at that and DBG barely seems to know where it is half the time.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Just another sign of the approaching Apocalypse... *grins at my sick humor*

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  6. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I'm laying odds PS2 gets the finger soon, Z1BR soon after, and EQ2 next year.

Course, EQ2 people spend stupid amounts of money in the shop, so it could float along for a while yet.

Regarding player studio, that was a great idea , wasted. This might sound shitty, but Longdale may not want to give players DBG's money :)

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

If you look over at the player studio forums there has been 6 posts in 2019 in the EQ/EQ2 subforum, 3 in PS2 and zero in the general discussion.

Won't call it a massive loss.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

It used to be very active, at least for EQ2 (on the official forum thread). But when approval times went from days to weeks to months to ?? the artists got discouraged, I don't blame them.

I know it was a concern for the artists a few years ago, so I'm kind of surprised it managed to last this long. It's just another thing which started off pretty good, with fantastic potential, that SOE and then DBG pissed away.

And ANY loss for the game/company is massive right now. They can't afford it.

• Agree Agree x 7
  9. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

You can afford everything on the menu if you're planning to dine and dash.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
  10. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Skimping on and then cancelling Player Studio seems to be both bad business and bad PR...

• Agree Agree x 9
  11. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Well, Soe/DBG business and PR actions have shown that they read the "How to fail in business for Dummies!" from cover to cover... and are using many of the suggestions as well as some of their own!

(I still say they WERE a tax write-off for someone... but I just cant see for who... and they are too obvious to be working for the Illuminati! Unless that's just a further ploy of THEIRS...)

*grins as I put on my tinfoil hat*

(tinfoil works better than aluminum foil... why you cant get tinfoil easily anymore! It helps keep off the mind control lasers in orbit, you see! *grins*)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

If they're using lasers, you can just glue mirrors to your hat.. that'll work ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Ursa Minor

Ursa Minor New Member

• Like Like x 1