1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

EQ2 Producer's Letter

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

The pvp server just keeps getting better and better. To wit....

Yep, you're reading that right. Killing an enemy now grants a trade able death certificate (for status), which according the the rule set, means they can be dropped or brokered.

2. Oranorn

Oranorn New Member

Not that I care about pvp, but what irks you about this?

3. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

And it is now April 2nd... so they can only claim its a late April Fool's joke that got lost on the Interwebs.

4. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

Not sure what the issue with that is? It stops a major lag problem, and status is meh anyways.

5. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

Are the status certificates tradeable between alts/players? Or able to be sold?

If not breaking the letter of the rules, it does certainly seem to break the spirit of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Welp, perhaps you all can help me with understanding this, because from my end, I don't get it.

How does creating a new status object to be put in your bags help lag vs. simply adding it to your character status?

I'm not being a smart ass, really am curious. If this is an issue, why is it not done game-wide?

Aside from that, there are status purchased items that can give one a good advantage in pvp (see sigils or mounts, for example), but, why not just earn the status instead of looting or buying it? Why create a trade able market for status?

I am more confused about this move than outraged. It seems to me like the manufacturing of complexity where it need not exist.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  7. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

It doesn't make much sense to me. I can think back to playing RvR type combat and maybe understand that when there are dozens or hundreds of players fighting and killing each other that the server might have a hard time doing the extra math and moving that information between itself and so many clients at the same time. Maybe in a situation like that just having an object be generated that can be redeemed later saves the servers a bit of work. It still seems like a stretch to me.

8. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Status doesn't have to be replicated to all players, though. The calculations are still being made, and the values are assigned to one object; either the character or the certificate. If anything, this new procedure adds steps in the process.

The whole lag thing smells a bit like smoke to me. But, I'm not a software engineer, so I'm open to correction.

I am also open to the possibility that the devs want people buying/looting status for some other reason. If it's simply to make pvp more fun and competitive, why not just lay it out that way?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

It's something to do with the impact it had to all members of the guilds or something. It's happening on both TLE servers, you get an insane amount of lag from some form of guild event.

The drops are purely a workaround to prevent that lag, as it has a much larger impact on PvP than PVE.

• Informative Informative x 3
  10. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Thank you for clearing that up for me :)

I will chalk this up to business as usual - a band aid fix to an underlying problem buried somewhere in the engineering.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

I guess because it was contributing to guild status? That's all I can come up with from what y'all are saying.

Eh, who knows.

12. Adoninilol

Adoninilol Member

[​IMG]
    Haha, if you wanna see the latest Nagafen **** show; check this out.

Basically someone figured out how to use the census to find everyone's location and co-ordinates and built it into a website that is free for anyone to use.

Everyone is crying about it. I can't believe the actually enabled a census with location data on a PVP server.
    pvp.html

Enjoy the shitshow of eq2 pvp!

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Shocked Shocked x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Peak

Peak New Member

What I enjoyed even more is that Feldon had the foresight to disable the location data on u.eq2wire.com for PVP servers.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Well, Feldon is smarter than the average worker at DBG... if he wasn't, he would be working there also *laugh maliciously*

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

I wouldnt even be mad but just laugh at the incompetence shown.

16. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

I do think it a fascinating use of Census to have such a page. At one time, you could do the same for Planetside 2. Not sure if this is still the case.

When I was building the Character page (in 2012!), as we were going to be the first major EQ2 census site, I felt it prudent to hide this for the PvP servers and be a "good citizen" to the Census community.

pvp_location.PNG

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Lols. No more super delicious, super secret ambushes or title-hugging hiding spots. Which of course, negates a lot of the good aspects of fun pvp.

Can't really put too much blame on DBG though. If there is one take away from eq2 pvp, it's that players will find the smallest little wrinkle of an exploit and use it to gain an advantage.

I mean, honestly, the census issue is one of those things likely to be detected only after it's been exploited.

Not saying they couldn't have thought of it, but more likely, they just didn't think of it.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  18. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

So is that also showing the total number of players on that Server as well ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

Isn't there a way to opt out of the census in the options somewhere?

20. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

Thats been possible since almost forever, but Holly said if people did that they would shut down census.