1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Where to go to talk about playing EQ2?

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Caam, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Caam

Caam Member

I was wondering if anyone would recommend a place to go to discuss playing EQ2. I see plenty of discussion about things indirectly related to EQ2. But the game itself? I don't see much of anything here.

Class Forums: Latest: Jan 21, 2019
    Tradeskills: Latest: Feb 11, 2019
    Items, Equipment and Mechanics: Latest: Jan 13, 2019
    Zones and Populations: Latest: Oct 16, 2017 (18 months?)

Where should I go? Or is there no place left? It's not like the official forums are helpful.
    Or did folks here, with all their complaints, drive away folks who might want to talk about the game?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

I am baffled why folks aren't talking about EQ2 here. We keep the commentary in General and the opinion threads are pretty well-marked. Nobody is going to get bashed for playing the game. If that happens, folks are asked to report it immediately so me or a moderator can step in to resolve it.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

I would talk about it, but I have stopped playing it. I just didn't find it fun, but if you are still having fun (which im glad), ill be glad to put in my 2 cents worth to help you to keep enjoying the game, Caam. So talk away! Here or in a different thread.

4. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

I don't see why the opinionated posts in the general forum would drive people away. I just don't think many people here still play, and those that do probably don't have much to talk about with the few others that still play. It's not like there are a ton of people posting here in the first place.

I am a little surprised more people from the official forums don't post here to avoid Daybreak's passionate moderation. Maybe they just don't know these forums exist.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

I still play :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

Start a topic and go for it.

I haven't played in months but may still be able to contribute to the conversation.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

My hillbilly redneck white trash grandparents filled me with a lot of corny sayings about life and how to live it. Things like civilization require us to be civil. Locks exist to keep the honest people honest. Stop poking your papa's wooden leg or he'll whack you with his cane. Society requires us to be sociable. There's a lot of wisdom in the inherited knowledge of generations if you bother to listen. Of course, I also had a great aunt who thought she could predict and influence the sex and health of an unborn baby by slaughtering a chicken. It's a mixed bag I suppose.

There are reasons why discussions in places like some of the reddit subs are not what they could be. There are reasons why the fan sites have largely dried up and/or stagnated. There are reasons why the official forums are in the state they are in. Some of these reasons fall at the feet of SOE, DBG, or their employees. Maybe it's in part simply due to the age of the title. Some of these reasons are us, the fans.

If I want to have a good community I need to be a good community member. I can't expect anyone else to do it for me, and I have no place to blame others for what I myself am failing to do. If the community is too far gone then my biggest failing might be my insisting on remaining a part of it.

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

If I want to talk EQ2, I can. I don't want to anymore. Maybe that's just me.

It stopped being about the game and just came to be about the community. Which, isn't it always?

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

'Complaints' didn't kill discussion on the official forums nor did 'toxicity', no matter how much the Bubble Gnomes(tm) make that assertion. What killed discussion on the official forums, discord and reddit is jack-booted moderation by thin skinned tyrants facilitated by the equally thin skinned Bubble Gnomes(tm) they surround themselves with.

The discussion about EQ2 here - about playing it and not the ongoing real time epitaph - has tapered off, not from any lack on Feldon's part in maintenance and moderation, or any 'complaints' from the players, both current and former. I've yet to see anyone here shut down a positive discussion, or tell a player to shut up, or that they're wrong for enjoying/playing the game.

No, discussion about playing the game has dried up because fewer and fewer people still play, and of those, many just play from habit, or they haven't found another game to move to (yet) - and as some on the OF will be quick to point out, only a small percent of the player base posts on forums anyhow.

So no. Complaints didn't kill the discussion. Passionate players didn't kill the discussion. The devs, moderators, their remaining minions and the state of the game killed the discussion.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Discord, especially, has become an echo chamber because the devs can, will, and have banned people, essentially, out of pique :(

• Agree Agree x 11
  11. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

And just to be clear, because there has been some question about the definition of the term "Bubble Gnome", a bubble gnome is a player who excuses ALL game flaws and developer behaviors, no matter how harmful or negative they are for players. A bubble gnome is someone who reports posts for including constructive criticism. A bubble gnome is someone who attacks other players for not having glowing praise for the game. In short, a bubble gnome is not able to have a fair and reasonable discussion about the game because they do not want to hear anything which is not positive is honest or conflicts with their agenda.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  12. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I blame Castegyre and Tekka.

Tekka because Tekka.

And Castegyre because Tekka.

• Funny x 3
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Shocked x 1
    • Fishy x 1
  13. Oranorn

Oranorn New Member

Forums are the best place to currently ask any questions you have about the game, and people still do ask questions and get answers (some even useful!).
    These forums sort of died a while ago after eq2Wire went away.
    You might also have some luck asking questions on Discord.

Forums and Discord are not a great place to complain or whine about the game though...

14. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

I blame the gnomes... and dwarves... and the Qeynosians… and... heck, if you aren't a Teir'dal, GTFOON! (Get the frack out of Neriak)

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

In my opinion, the full responsibility of the state of the game and the official forums lies squarely with DBG, and SOE before that. Fan/Community sites are not responsible in any way for the aforementioned. There comes a time where credit must be given where credit is due, and stop looking for a scapegoat of some sort.

• Agree Agree x 8
  16. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

Or to give legitimate feedback unless it directly lines up with what the developers want to hear.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

I feel like the few thousand people that still play on EQ2 knows how to play the game, especially the raiders. So there really isnt a whole lot to talk about. There really has not been substantly class changes the last half decade so what exactly do people want to talk about? I mean ascensions added 10 spells that u just press when ACT tells you, so there's that.

18. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Healing, at least, changes nearly every expac.. this one more so than others. The fact that most of the way mobs 'do things odd' to healing are completely black box, with little to no information about it detailed in the logs or in the debuffs, only makes things more... frustrating.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

Those who know, very rarely take the time to talk about it.

Why?
    a) People don't listen
    b) People accuse it of being false info.
    c) It's outdated each big patch.

If people ask me questions, i'll answer them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Dellmon

Dellmon Member

There are times when I have felt that the EQ2Wire forums have tilted towards the overly snarky - perhaps a bit on the excessively negative side. Though to be fair I have jumped on that bandwagon as well at times and fired from the Snippy Cannon and taken pot-shots at the organization. So my hands are not clean either. But yeah I think that possibly there is a chance that some of the complaints have resulted in less participation by the community.

But that being said, @Camm. I am an everyday EQ2 player who plays through all levels of content from high-end raiding to nabbing bunnies for an achievement just to get another title and notch on my bedpost. I think I've seen just about everything EQ2 has for us - - well maybe not house decorating (or HSDMing), but I do have 9/10 achievements for getting houses into the hall of fame...so there's that...

So if you have something you want to discuss or a question - fire away. I am willing to share what I know and think.

And maybe too I need to put my money where my mouth is - - maybe I need to come up with some interesting topics for meaningful discussion about the game for General Discussion...

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1