1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Other Games....

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Fuli, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

You're ticks were pretty much the same as mine when I went looking.

ESO is great. I don't have much time to play, but there is always fun stuff for me to do.

• Best story telling in the market.
    • Massive amount of content.
    • Responsive development team
    • Solo, group, raid (raid teams are much smaller - 12 members I believe).
    • Huge pvp overland zone, complete with contested dungeons, quest lines, daylies, and sieges.
    • Decent crafting and deco game.
    • Robust character skills customization (actually, any class can play any role if the player is knowledgable and skilled).
    • No p2w. Shop is expensive, but it's fluff stuff.
    • Race matters.
    • Arena content.
    • Specialization guilds with quest lines.
    • You can pick pockets, break into houses and rob them blind (not players). I can spend hours just doing this!
    • Active light and heavy attacks, blocking, and dodging are required skills.
    Many eq2 players have a hard time adjusting to the controls. It's a keyboard interface. Once i got used to it, I liked it much better than mouse mashing.

Also, some folks don't like the UI. In particular, the reticle and while in 3rd person pov. However, those things can be adjusted in settings. I always play in third person, and it felt the same as eq2 to me once I adjusted stuff.

One thing I don't care much for is the broker system, because it's not game wide. Essentially, if you want to sell, you have to join a trader's guild. That guild rents an npc location, and the only thing accessible at that npc is what that guild has to sell. Buyers don't need to be in a guild to purchase.

Lastly, ESO is best enjoyed with mods. The Minion downloader is what you want as it will update everything for you. However, there are a number if mods that are no longer maintained. I just played around with them until I found the combination i liked. ESO's setting make it super easy to enable or disable specific mods on the fly.

Alcast and Kevduit both have great youtube channels if you want to observe the game. Alcast also has a blog which is a really good source of information on class and build mechanics.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

Try Warframe just be aware that real money maybe required depending on your grind tolerance. Additionally the game story is hidden behind 40 hours of game play before you get to find out what is going on.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

Guild Wars 2 could be good. Has everything you are asking for, beautiful art (zomg, the art leaves EQ2 in the dust), and it can be picked up and put down easily. Slightly (only slightly) on the light-and-fluffy side skills-wise, but has enough interesting ways to build your character's skills to actually have to think a bit about what your choices are (they can be tweaked and changed as well). Not onerous though - no need for spreadsheets etc. Good story lines, and a HUGE world to explore. Combat is still challenging. Lots of co-op gameplay. LOTS of spontaneous events that happen as you explore, and everyone in the zone piles in and works as a team to get 'er done. Someone will revive you if you die so you can get back into the fray, guaranteed. Cash shop is fluff and cosmetic only. Good auction house system. Great rewards for achievements. Daily rewards for logging in. Game is free to play - only have to pay for the expansions.

Downside is it's hard on your GFX card, so needs a pretty grunty card (I have to upgrade mine shortly as it overheats when I play for more than a couple of hours). NVidia GeForce GTX1060 or better, but also it's heavily CPU bound, so needs a decent processor.

Edit: Oh yeah, and it's well-populated. Lots of folks in every zone and the cities, more than I've ever seen in EQ2.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

There's a fair amount of former EQ2 players who are now playing ESO. A lot more role players than I would have initially thought migrated to ESO from EQ2. This might be a good thing for some, but it's apparently a draw back for others as I've been told.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

ESO has become my new default home at this stage. I'm in a small guild right now, but you can actually be a member of up to five player guilds at once, so one with your buddies, one for trading/crafting, one for your raid crew, and two more for whatevs. I can log on when I want, run a couple of quests (next to no level gating!), or queue up for a dungeon, or just run crafting writs, or get a crafting stash, or...good God, there's so many forms of content there's always something I'm up for! I should have made the switch long ago...

Time to make the new .sig to reflect the reality. Life goes on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. RhodrisNZ

I'm one of those who can't cope with ESO's movement mechanics, sadly. Just can't do it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I so love breaking into houses, murdering the inhabitants, and rummaging through their cupboards.

Kind of disconcerting though. I'm not exactly comfortable with what this reveals about me.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Wait, isn't that basically what a dungeon run is...?

/looks into founding guild "Murder Hoboes of Tamriel"

9. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

Same here. Not being able to turn without using the mouse is a gamebreaker for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

I'll throw LOTRO (Lord of the Rings Online) in the hat. I think it meets all of your requirements.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

Same - I liked the game but could not do the controls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. RhodrisNZ

That's a great video, Fuli - but they didn't cover the crafting side. That is also pretty interesting, letting you discover recipes by experimenting with different components. And all crafting material harvested can be sent from out in the wild directly to the crafting tab of your bank (no need to have to return to a banker in a city to deposit materials). In short, GW2 can be as casual or as complex as you want it to be - your character continues to be relevant no matter what you choose to do.

• Like Like x 2
  14. CoLDMeTaL

CoLDMeTaL Active Member

I found my home in Destiny 2, lots of similar problems, but regardless of your 'power' you can be engaged and do things. Hope everyone is well! Good Hunting!

• Like Like x 3
  15. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I like GW2, I have a couple of asura characters that are just creepy looking.

edit: Because I can spell, honest

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  16. RhodrisNZ

Those Asura have some sass! I quite like the Charr, but most of mine are human.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I've been told my necro is creepy, I have no idea why...

upload_2019-3-27_20-10-35.png

• Like Like x 2
  18. RhodrisNZ

You don't think the lack of eyes just might have something to do with it?

I didn't make an Asura because I have trouble enough jumping on rocks etc with human characters - Asuras have very short legs.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

The trick in most games is to realize that everyone tends to move at the same speed and have the same jump distance and jump arc regardless of size. I've sort of taught myself to realize that the difference between something like my Asura Elementalist and Norn Ranger is where the camera is at, not how they actually move. Although, something like a Froglock hopping or a Charr running on all fours is an added factor that can mess me up sometimes.

And for anyone who cares the Super Adventure Festival just started in GW2. It's silly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I have a defect in my right eye that makes games (and life) a bit of a challenge sometimes. I tend to play smaller races, or shrink whatever race is available to play as small as I can, because it lets me see where I am in relation to other objects on the screen more readily.

Unusual gaits (frogloks, char and some mounts) also give me a headache, so I tend to avoid those, even when I like the way they look.

Humans in GW2 can actually have a good amount of variety in appearance, so that helps! I have a human thief that is fun to play when I just want to murder ALL the things, RIGHT NOW.

• Like Like x 1