1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

EQ2 Producer's Letter

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Jan 25, 2019.

1. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

Exactly the same criteria for me. I've recently rediscovered the sheer beauty and environmental complexity of GW2 - having a lot of fun exploring and enjoying what has to easily be the most artistically beautiful game out there at the moment. And if I feel like it, I complete a renown heart quest, but if I don't, I just carry on seeing what is over the next hill.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Just had a look beta thread:

Nagafen PvP Beta | Page 6 | EverQuest 2 Forums

Appears things are starting to fizzle.

1. Balance problems (can probably be tuned).

2. No love for crafting or pve (can be tuned).

( but most notably.....)

3. People are already getting bored.

4. Claims of declining populations (already).

5. Concessions that DBG will not likely provide enough ongoing resources to make this server continually interesting or well functioning.

Curious to see what the comments look like next week.

Edit: To be fair, should have noted that the reviews are mixed. Some folks are having a blast. I'm mostly curious to see if the fun state holds up over time.

Edit (2):

Also appears a fair number of peeps would prefer factions over ffa, and a greater emphasis on pve with pvp, as opposed pvp with pve.

Lots-a lowbie ganking going on.

Dunno if they are gonna be able to find some kind of middle ground to make everyone happy and keep them interested. I kinda hope they do, though.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

Don't you just create these servers and the money just rolls in like for Fortnite :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

Sure... And their track record on balancing out classes and power has been soooooo good.
    They have promised to do that over and over and over and over on Live, literally, every expansion, if not every six months. They have yet to achieve that in any meaningful way. The latest "attempt" was Ascension... "Hey, we have no ideas, no clues, so let's just make everyone equal with idiot spells and SuperClasses".
    Love for crafting left with Domino. Gninja is all about big fights and raiding.
    Love for PVE left with anyone that could write an actual story. Gninja is all about big fights and raiding.
    ( but most notably.....)
    AND... this is the FREE to play beta. How many are actually going to continue to fork over real money for the required sub for when it goes live?
    Again, this is not a shocker. I'm sure lots of people went to try it out, A) because it is a free to play server (for now), and B) Just to look around. I bet more than half of those that did, even 'casual' PvP'ers, have decided it is boring as hell if you can't actually advance through crafting or questing.
    Well, that is pretty much a given with their track record since the beginning, and more so since the CN Takeover. The entire model of the business has changed from trying to provide a playable game, to simply trying to extract as much cash as possible, with nearly zero resources put into the game.

Are they really 'Having a blast' ? as in enough to stick around after the fun gank-fest ends? And how many 'Having a blast' are just the vocal DBG sycophants who, in their delusional world, believe that DBG can Do No Wrong?

Factions, as well as the ability to opt-out, are about the only way to layer open-world PvP onto what is basically a pure PvE system. At the very least, that would allow PvE'ers to actually quest, which isn't possible if every quest mob is camped by a range of gankers, which always happens.

My bet is on No. DBG, and EQ2 Devs are 100% about NOT making players happy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Welp, my sense is DBG is a bit desperate for ideas.

I've been arguing on the OF that the systems that make BR work are in direct opposition to systems that make PVE work. This concept is likely to go nowhere.

For example, level imbalances aside, already seeing a complaint or two about balance, and it turns out, there are peeps already running around with raid gear.

Then of course, there are plenty who don't like the idea of wiping their toons after they've worked to build them.

This is exactly why I'm watching AOC's design closely. They have a ton of experienced dev talent and a bunch of money, and I'm not confident they're gonna be able to solve the pve/pvp balance problem either.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

I can understand why they went with FFA vs factions though, since it's a two faction game as soon as there's imbalances between the two factions that's probably game over for the server (if it doesn't die for other reasons before then :p).

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Neiloch

Neiloch Member

Their best bet in the long term is to make a satisfying PvE experience for people who 'main' PvP. PvE without the ability to completely avoid player killing is just more PvP.

It would be nice if the overworld PvP was just how they are handling PvP and could be generally avoided by doing instances. However from the way they talk it's going to be integral to pretty much everything. Granted it didn't last long but warhammer online was about the most I was willing to move on 'integrated' pve and pvp. You could avoid most PvP if you wish and could even contribute to territory wars by doing PvE. I miss my Disciple of Khaine.

8. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

9. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

I have to say....whoop...tee...dooooo :p. I mean how many times has he and other developers promised that they were on top of things and going to make changes, only to have the reality be very different. Their track record doesn't bode well with regard to any promises they make.

• Agree Agree x 8
  10. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

The OF are revealing the same old entertaining patterns:

A vocal minority loving the current rule set - "The more like original Naggy the better....except keep ffa!"

And the rest - "This is stupid, and it's why I quit playing eq2 pvp in the first place. Can we please try out some new ideas so it's more than a gank-fest game?"

Hehe :)

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

The ONLY locked patch notes in the test forums are the ones Caith has recently posted about PvP.
    Every other set of patch notes in test have always been open for comment.....
    That's a depressingly telling difference.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, when patch notes basically say nothing more than, "Changed xxx ability", with no description of exactly what was changed or how it was changed.....

13. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Just seems telling that all other patch notes are open for comment.. except those... as if somebody doesn't WANT feedback... on a beta server....

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Fendhar

Fendhar Member

Well ... if they only knew themselves :)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

So, their take aways reflected in today's update:

1. Jack up quest xp.
    2. Force attacked players into pvp combat.

The quest exp will help folks get to level caps faster. Somewhat of a solution anyway.

16. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

What does 'forcing attacked players into pvp combat' even mean?
    Granted, I've never pvped in eq2.. but is this to prevent some sort of exploit? Trying to prevent people from running away? (If so, that's a jerk move, especially if you get jumped by somebody you can't even damage)

17. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I'm confident it's exploit related. I can't remember the nuances of old school pvp, and I'm not in beta, so I don't know the current rule set, but it's likely to do with things you can/can't do while in combat.

For example, there was an old exploit where you could macro a gear switch, thereby replenishing health and power, and/or switching to stuff more favorable to the fight.

And yeah, it does mean you can't just infinately sprint away if jumped.

Same probably applies to stances and other little tid bits.

P.S. Not confident I am remembering the exploit I cited correctly, but it was something along those lines.

P.P.S. If you think exploits on pve servers are a problem, they've got nothing on pvp servers. There are always players who will find the slightest wrinkle of a cheat and use it to gain an advantage. I never understood why those players thought that was fun.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  18. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

Forcing players into combat and then disabling basically all game features is broken ****. Ran until this a few times in pve. I shouldn't be surprised they're bringing it to PvP.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Making changes that 'punish' players that aren't cheating rather than finding a way to actually prevent exploits or so they don't have to punish those that ARE exploiting does seem to be the current trend :(

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

So disgusted with DBG that I am, for the time being, not looking at the forums or logging into EQ1 or 2. Ive let my guild leader know and some of my friends but... *sighs* back to my free WoW server and my Shadowbane server. Ill check here from time to time, just to keep up on the DBG follies from you all. And remember, Innoruuk still hates you!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 4