1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

EQ2 Producer's Letter

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

I don't get the fuss about testing BR style PvP.

BR is a very popular game style currently,
    Old school PvP has failed many times over the years,
    It allows seasonal changes to keep things fresh, which is EQ2's biggest downfall usually. (Everyone is bored 3 months into an expac etc.).

If its a hit, then good for them. If it's not, try something different in 3 months. PvP players are dense enough to keep coming back to try each time, so why not milk them for that cash.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Its the fun of working with others, no matter what the target, that is fun for me. However, here is a fun video for the pvpers here:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

I don't really see how this is battle royale unless you're twisting the definition to suit your argument. BR means very specific things: x-number of people enter a large playfield that gradually shrinks over the course of the game until there's only one person or team left.

I actually think that what's going on here is more interesting than just reviving the old PVP rule set. At least to me, the only time PVP in an MMO using a traditional ruleset is fun is when the game is still fun and people are learning the ropes. After everyone knows (and abuses) the mechanics, it just becomes annoying. Launch WoW and Rift on PVP servers were some of my favorite MMO experiences.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I would categorize new nagafen as a variation of the BR concept.

I agree with Errrorr. I appreciate the effort to take something that exists and do something new and a bit different with it. This offer checks off a lot of boxes when it comes to pure pvp funzies.

I'm mostly pleased with the offer. My concerns rest primarily with dev attention after launch and the tech.

I also agree with comments about mixing pve and pvp environments. Ganking issues aside, in the old days, raid-geared players enjoyed a massive advantage, to the point where skill and cleverness made little difference.

While I hope AOC can solve the pvp/pve problem, I'm under no illusion that it's going to be anything other than a pvp game.

Note:
    I have always felt the 8 level spread was unproductive. +/- 2 levels seems better (to me anyhow).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Apparantly the level range on the new server is 13 and there was a guild of lvl 23s hanging out on the Antonica and Commonlands docks ready to jump the newly attackable 10s as they emerged...

6. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

It's been changed to 8 levels globally and 4 levels in the starting areas - see Caith's post here.

7. omuteef

omuteef Member

"Apparently the level range on the new server is 13 and there was a guild of lvl 23s hanging out on the Antonica and Commonlands docks ready to jump the newly attackable 10s as they emerged..."

Right there is and always be they major issue a PvP server will fail. Having groups and guilds just sitting and waiting for the easy prey to gank. Even if they remove the lvl form 13 to 8 it still wont matter people are just going to adjust and start doing it again and again and again. Not sure what fun is had when there is no skill in mass pounding single newbies. I think this was the major issue the other PvP servers that EQ2 had died. You would think people DB included would learn from past failures and change.

If DB was smart they would have it set up so no groups could kill single people. 1v1 2v2 etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

I agree I don't see how this has anything to do with BR, at its core BR is about a set number of players being dropped on a map and the last one standing wins. It's quick and exciting. This is not that.

9. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Even 8 is huge, especially at low levels...
    4 global and 2 in newbie areas would make more sense...

*small shrug* There are too many people who get their fun by ganking others (rather than 'real' pvp where their opponent has a chance) for me to be interested. :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

At the very beginning of EQ PvP you could log in a brand new character and get killed by anyone passing by before the zone even finished loading for you.

It put hair on your chest.

11. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

The world must have been populated with nothing but werewolves in short order ;)

I guess my 'problem' is that while I like competition, I prefer working as a team (always loved competetive team sports).. and I believe in sportsmanship.

• Fishy Fishy x 1
  12. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

The problem with PvP is that you just can't pile on enough rules to keep someone who really, really wants to grief from griefing.

People suck. PvP just gives them one more way to be assholes. Eventually the assholes drive everybody else off because they won't control their impulses.

• Agree Agree x 12
  13. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

I cant believe they waste so much time on this **** when live and the current TLE server have so many issues that needs sorting.

And live needs content. Its boring already. The dumbass resolve requirements are murdering guilds left and right and making progression artificial long.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

You can often tell what people actually care about by what they choose to spend their time and energy on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

For me, the appeal of pvp is playing against an opponent that is not a scripted, learnable, and predictable peice of software. It's just more fun for me that way.

This is why I don't care for designs that allow for dominating other players simply because they are more powerful, either because of levels, gear, or gank squads, etc.

In the old days of factions, we gank-squaded, because when you saw a Freep, you had a moral obligation and a solemn duty to end her life right then and there.

Still, the best pvp was equally balanced max level encounters; 1v1, 2v2 , gvg, rvr.

All that said, I still liked the danger of venturing out to harvest or quest and having to keep my wits about me. Zoning into SH, seeing a group of freeps on track, training a bunch of mobs into their boss fight, and commencing with the slaughter. Or, for example, hiding on top of the bridge for the Nek to CL zone, and picking people off with my oak imbued long bow.

Good times......often followed by bad times when the chat shouts went out :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  16. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

If you want faction-on-faction, fine, at least the poor gankee potentially has someone to back them up (or at least avenge them). When it's every trotter for themselves, though, it isn't realm vs realm, it's strong vs. weak. And we know how that goes.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree. I feel like this is the big appeal of BR formats: everyone starts off on the same footing. It's cleverness and skill that mostly wins the day.

As far as eq2 pvp is concerned, I think they are trying to constrain gear imbalances, but, the level spread is too great.

I mean, I suppose a group of 3+ could defeat an orange solo, but, more often than not, it's groups of oranges zerging lowbies. That's not healthy.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
  18. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

I am wondering if EQ2 has the overall population to support 2 more potential servers. I occasionally log in out of curiosity and even the Majdul server feels really dead. I saw a few people in the chat channels saying that they should merge the 4 live us servers into 1 mega server.

I would rather have seen them correct issues on the live servers and the current tle server FG personally. I know some people want pvp, but I just don't see how the current overall population can support more servers. I don't know why they even keep the IOR server running tbh.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

You are 100 percent correct. I made my post above before I scrolled up to read your post. It is a sad thing to behold and as usual, hard to understand from a logical and practical point of view.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

Yep - forcing a quester/crafter/harvester into unwanted PvP is never going to work out. It's not like they say "hey that was fun!" I tolerated it back in UO because at that time that was the only game on the market that had everything it had. That's not true anymore - players have choices. I choose not to get randomly killed by players in what ever game I play which is why as new games come out with even a tiny bit of forced PvP, I immediately dismiss them as something I'm not interested in.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1