1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

EQ2 Producer's Letter

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Yep.

I like most everything about this offer, BUT it reeks of "lets take existing assets and repackage them as a BR concept."

That being said, it always amazes me when people run to the forums and ask questions/make complaints about things that are clearly addressed in a dev letter/post.

Nothing Kander said ever even hinted this server would be the old Nagafen server. Under this structure, skills, not gear, will be the focus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

This is the structure I was expecting the PvP server to be when they said all those months ago that it would be seasonal.
    I'm pretty junk at PVP, but I'm willing to give it a go.
    Why are people getting so antsy about the 3 months thing, the last Deathtoll Server lasted around 3 months before it went boom.

From what I read about it, you keep the rewards account wide, the titles and the fluff that is.

My expectations will be it will hum for a month then slowly peter out and the straglers will slowly go away by month 2 and the diehard will still be there on month 3.
    Just the nature of the PVP beast in EQ2 from what I see.

3. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

PvPers are almost always a fickle group. Many of the same people claiming to be diehard EQ2 PvP fans from back in the day were more than likely off doing or playing something else when the thing they're saying the loved died from neglect and attrition. One thing that PvPers share in common with most other MMO players is their attachment to their characters. It's one of the big reasons why an MMO cannot compete with something like a table top D&D game for good RP. No one wants their character to die, to lose anything, or to suffer any real set backs. In MMOs they don't have to. PVPers are no different than the carebeariest role player in that regard. I think the idea of seasons is fine, but maybe for a different game format.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dellmon

Dellmon Member

@Feldon - Are you suggesting that HSDM was anything but highly successful???
    How dare you, Sir, say such things!

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. omuteef

omuteef Member

Even though i havent played EQ2 in over 2 years and currently playing ESO at the moment i still cant help myself reading the OF forums, maybe i still hope for some saving grace that things will be fixed and i can go back.... or maybe im just warped.
    This does bring me to my point of all the PvP threads . Guess what im saying is its almost time to get the popcorn out and read the drama that is about to unfold now that beta has launched.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  6. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

I think they are still trying to get Beta to work, so I don't think its officially launched yet.

7. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

Hmm... only me that thinks that DBG had a lot more server/network related issues since last round of layoffs? There have been quite an increase in login/download/etc problems the past months... Not only in EQ2, there have been complains on the other game forums as well. They fired the wrong person(s) :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

The key peices of feedback I'm waiting on before I reinstall everything:

(1) Lag
    (2) Exploits/cheats
    (3) Lag
    (4) Lag
    (5) Lag

9. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

DBG Login servers used to fail every other day, even if just a bit of a blip. They're no worse now than they used to be.

Download problems were always a problem in the past too, remember all those times the streaming client would fail for people.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

SOEmote /shudder

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. omuteef

omuteef Member

Just took a look at the OF for beta testing and although i wont post what Caith wrote but will try to sum up it up as best as i can.

The best XP is earned through killing other players. This is a DB Battle royal experiment lol This isnt for a EQ2 experience in PvP this is just a test to see what assets/servers work and how many people will be willing to play it.

There are zero rewards to progress as of now, zeros rewards for tackling quests or zones or doing dungeons this is just one big bash fest.

I never played PvP but i always thought it was you vs the game vs other players for a full experience. This just seems it is you vs everyone else in the setting of EQ2

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

PVP with PVE has been tried many times before, and always fails.

This server focuses purely on PVP, which I think is a smart move personally. If the PvP is good, people will stay.

13. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

I'm just heading home from work and dropping by the store to pickup the milk and BLAM shot by a robber. That was fun let's do it again... said nobody.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

That's how PvPers are though, especially when they get to be the robber at times too.

I suspect 95% of kills on the server will be ganking in all honesty, but if the 5% is good, who knows.

15. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

That's what amazes me the most.. most of it is ganking.. and yet when that is pointed out most of the pvpers deny it until they're blue in the face.... or say git gud.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I've had and seen a lot of good PvP in different forms in different games. Regardless of how it's done, though, one of the key differences seems to be expectations. If a non PvP player heads out into the world to do some harvesting they probably expect to have to fight a few MOBs but do not want or expect their neighbor to attempt to kill them. When a PvPer heads out into the world to do anything they do it expecting to die and plan on taking anyone they can with them before they go. It's not the mechanics that keep the two play styles from mixing well. It's the expectations, the mindsets, that ruin it for the people who aren't constantly into survival mode and enjoying themselves while they're at it. IMO PvE should only be involved in PvP in so much as it's required for certain game mechanics and PvE players should never find themselves forced into a PvP environment.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. omuteef

omuteef Member

I couldn't agree more Castegyre its why i have never played a MMO on a PvP server. However this new server isnt a true EQ2 PvP. Its more of a BR then anything else. Seasonal wipes of characters, no goals/rewards outside of just killing the most people you can.

18. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Even in WoW, you can kill the racial leaders... here they are untargetable and so unkillable.

Pass.

19. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

Yup, I did mention earlier that it is a BR test. I am completely stunned that all those clamoring for the PVP on the new server just don't/didn't see that. It is BR, in a Norrath setting. The ONLY thing EQ2 related to this server is the map and environment - nothing else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I've largely weened myself off of the OF. I haven't posted there in a while until that thread that seems to have been deleted earlier today (NOT MY FAULT). I've noticed a trend of people hearing what they want to hear and then being disappointed when the expectations they've set aren't met. That isn't an EQ2 specific thing, gamers do it all the time, but the OF seem quite prone to it.

To be clear on my stance with the PvP testing, I think a BR situation is better than the usual MMO mess. Something like what CU is trying to do is also preferable. Don't try to be everything to everyone because you will fail, just pick a thing and be great at it. Still, I expect this test to go poorly and for something to maybe explode spectacularly at some point. I wish it wouldn't, but there's a track record here.

• Agree Agree x 1