1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Fan faire

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Kokorobosoi, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Kokorobosoi

Kokorobosoi New Member

please tell me this is a hallucination.

Holly did not just announce a new fan faire in the letter for eq.

I mean.... are they really gonna open themselves up to a whole room of customers- it’s hard to ban the nay sayers when they are standing in the room....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  2. Kokorobosoi

Kokorobosoi New Member

3. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Oh boy... im so excited, I can barely keep my eyes open! *yawns*

On another note, if I had $10 to spare, I would send it to Feldon to help pay for him to go and ask all the embaressing questions until they get hotel security to haul him away... and he can use it to help pay for his bail!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Kokorobosoi

Kokorobosoi New Member

Haha I could get behind that idea meneltel!

Feldon would you? Lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

No idea what the scale will be. It could be a 2 hour hangout at HQ in San Diego. It could be an actual day's activities. I'll certainly take a look at it. I've got points and miles.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
  6. Fendhar

Fendhar Member

Feldon could well be right. In the past they had such short happenings in SD from time to time. I cannot see them having the required cash available to stem something like a Fan Faire.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

Maybe it will go something like this?:

Welcome to our celebration at our HQ BBQ.. buy your tickets now, only 200$.
    (food and drink not included)

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

It can be relatively cheap to rent a banquet room at a hotel or restaurant for a few hours. Especially if you don't care that much about location.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

Tickets; $100
    However, purchase a life time subscription and reduce that to $50!

Also said it here first, EQ3 to be announced at Fan Faire 2019.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  10. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Feldon, your posting about the fan faire on the OF just might put the "Kiss of Death" on the whole idea if they think you are interested in it! :p

• Funny Funny x 7
  11. Dellmon

Dellmon Member

My guess upon first reading of Windstalker's letter was that this IRL event would be similar to the San Diego Comi-Con events that they hosted at the home office for an afternoon. So I am envisioning a few hours of parking lot cookout, tours of the home office, met the dev teams, and some PC kiosks stations with their titles running as demos.

I wouldn't think that the have the budget nor the staff to host a what-we-remember as a Fan Faire \ SOELive scale event.

Snarkily, there will only be a hard limit of 400 passes for sale to this event for a limited time. But after two weeks an additional 200 tickets more will be found...

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Feldon

Is Shoney's available?

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Fendhar

Fendhar Member

The staff wasn't even there the last couple of times. They only could pull that off the way they did because of the folks from the (now pretty much dead) Guide Program who worked for free (got their event-passes comped plus a little dinner but they had to sign up for times they would be available for whatever came up like prepping the swag bags, ...).

And for the overall cost in vegas: even 30 mins more than planned raise the cost immensely.

14. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

No way DBG staff wants to be in an uncontrolled environment like this. There's going to be a catch.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
  15. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

The PL implies that this is an EQ1 event to celebrate its 20th anniversary.

Its presence also implies that eq1, at least, has its funding for this year.

I think you guys have it right. It's likely gonna be a small little pr thingie so they can take photos and post them on twitter.

They do have an incentive to keep up interest in the IP given development of the mobile game, and if one of the two eq titles is kept breathing for this purpose, eq1 is probably the better choice.

• Agree Agree x 6
  16. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

Total silence from the EQ2 Producer on any upcoming plans for EQ2 for 2019 so far. They didn't mind asking customers to buy the lifetime membership or that ridiculous one time $199 yearly membership, but they can't be bothered to at least thank EQ2 customers for their support over the last 15 years or announce any plans. Its no wonder EQ2 is such a ghost town.

• Agree Agree x 7
  17. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

I agree with everyone that speculates this will be small scale. I can't imagine them having the turnout at this point of the old "fan faire / SOE Live" events. I know I'm not the only one who did go to one (or more) of those who is now no longer playing. I can't imagine them being able to fund a Vegas con. I'm glad I got to go to the last SOE Live - it was fun and I met some people I'd only met online previously and I got to at least see Feldon haha - never got to speak to him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Feldon

Delayed to 2020.

Things needed for a Fan Faire event:
    • Community staff (SOE had like 12 Community people at the last SOE Live; maybe 1/3 that now)
    • Events staff
    • $$$ to book the major conference and common areas of a major Las Vegas hotel for a weekend.*
    • $$ to rent buses and hotel rooms to get ~50-75 employees to and from SD.
    • $$ to print Signage, Badges, and other show materials, as well as Merchandise for an on-site Daybreak Store
    • Designers and Artists to create the aforementioned printed materials.
    • A flagship new game to show off
    • At least 30 computers and all the networking equipment and infrastructure to support them.
    Things Daybreak has:
    • A desire to do an event.
    I can see them doing a small event for a couple hours at a nearby venue in San Diego, but recreating what Fan Faire used to be? Beyond farfetched.

*I tried to nail down some pricing for what it would cost to rent enough meeting and conference rooms in a popular Vegas hotel but had no luck. It varies too much by date and other variables. Still, there were years that Fan Faire had 1,200 guests at $120 a pop. That's $144,000. To my knowledge, ticket prices, merch sales, etc. never even came close to covering the cost of putting on the event, so that should give you an idea.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 6
  19. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

That thread amused me a bit. From family and personal work experience I have a pretty good idea of what kind of shifty math goes in to catering and banquet set ups. I suppose theory crafting breakfast has its place, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

You'd get more attendance at an "EverQuest Survivors Recovery Group" gathering.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1