1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

They Break Winter Extravaganza?

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Liv, Dec 18, 2018.

1. omuteef

omuteef Member

Im looking forward to Pantheon cause it seems the closet thing i will find to EQ2 unless DB fixes it or EQ3 comes out and its not BR. I also like Pantheon cause they are sticking with core values and not looking for cash grabs ( at this time ). I also want the amaze me feeling i had when i first launched EQ2 for the first time. Now whether or not Pantheon delivers on all this is another story all i know right now is i cant even play EQ2 as a free to play player as the game feels so broken it hurts to even think about logging in

AoC is not for me im not a fan of action MMORPG its the same reason i dont play Tera or Black desert.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  2. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Honestly, my tastes are probably too specific and odd to find a new home. I'm liking FO76, but the clownshow surrounding it probably guarantees it won't do well. Honestly I'd just like to find a community like EQ2 used to have.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  3. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

Sometimes I actually wish Landmark would have panned out.

4. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

The 18+ months that were put into making Landmark a game were 18 months not spent on EQNext.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I agree. Why in the world would anyone build a title to compete with eq1.2?

If Longdale was indeed mapping something like this out, I can only surmise, that:

1. As usual, DBG and the leftover management doesn't have a clue about the mmorpg market, and/or

2. She's just developing what she knows and what she's comfortable with, and/or

3. She knows they aren't going to get squat for resources, so a slow grind game is the only thing they can feasibly develop.

The BR part is just lol funny.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I'm convinced Next was dead almost as soon as SOE became DBG. I'm also convinced DBG would have killed Landmark sooner if there weren't so many backers who would have cause to try and get their money back. I've also become convinced that Landmark as it was would never really work right. Still, I like the idea of a game like what Landmark could or should have been.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Feldon

There were over 20 programmers (not designers) on Landmark / EQNext and yet the progress seemed to be glacial. When developing a Game, you try to do things modularly and make it so it's maintainable. A Dev Tool is cobbled together sh!te which works just well enough for today's task and 2 years down the road it will just be easier to scrap it and start over. I know Landmark was a lot of fun and nobody has done anything quite like it since, but it had to have been like building on quicksand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Landmark felt like it was a dev tool turned into a "game". If that makes any sense. Probably didn't help that some of the "features" took so long to roll out.

9. Feldon

That's exactly what it was.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Neiloch

Neiloch Member

Were't they having contests to have players design assets they were going to supposedly use in next?

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

Landmark didn't appeal to me because I dislike sims-type games. But I know that there were many very creative and talented players who put a lot of time and effort into making all sorts of wondrous creations. They got royally scre...betrayed.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  12. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

Yes, they did. That was one of the enticements to 'buy in'. You got to use the dev tools to 'help design' EQNext.

I got it because I love building games. It's a shame it didn't pan out on it's own, or as a bridge to EQN.

Or that a similar game from another company hasn't come out (and likely won't for a while, after the spectacular failure of Landmark).

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Dellmon

Dellmon Member

We don't need developers...Players will make the content for us...
    And just exactly how well did the HSDM work out for them...
    :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

The funny thing is that, in a sense, part of the concept did carry to other games (claiming and developing a parcel of land as part of the experience). Not nearly the level of flexibility, but it wasn't sustainable at scale in that form.

15. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Shadowbane has a somewhat similar concept, you could claim an area and build a city there, barracks to spawn guards, merchants to buy and sell and you could control what the merchants built and such. Cost lots of in game money to support them, and it was a pvp mmorpg, so you could attack an enemy town, from what I was told. I remember hearing later that during beta, one town got so massive it crashed the server!

16. Zorvan

Zorvan Member

Holly's bad enough, add Kander into the mix and the train wreck will be glorious.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

You know, I figured it was likely that DBG would release another batch of lifetime subs, but I was looking for them to do it around March, prior to an announcement that one of the titles was being closed down.

This latest move was just blatantly dishonest.

And people will still buy these things

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. omuteef

omuteef Member

DB did it very smartly remember the people actually running the company not the DEVs in charge of the game know how to milk very well :)
    The tested the waters with 4k life time subs, im sure they thought of releasing more but they wanted to see what kind of action they where going to get. When it sold out and people still wanted more then Kapowee the reeled the rest in.

Classic

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

Again, that only matters, if they only had 4000 initially, and if they reported the sales accurately.

When do they have to renew the DC/Warner Bros. license? Maybe this was to come up with funding for that?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

What makes you think they sold out?
    For all I know they sold 4 and based on that success continued with their marketing/sales campaign :)

• Funny Funny x 2