1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Other Games....

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Fuli, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

Those effects will be murder on my brain and eyes with enough people on the screen.

2. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

If?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Agreed. Everything is cranked up to max for stress testing purposes. Players will be able adjust that stuff (they are showing us stuff as the game is still being developed).

AoC will be a sub with no box fees. Cash shop will be cosmetics, no p2w.

And yes, there will be a stock market people can play.

Also, BR is only a testing device. They have no plans to continue this past launch. The current apocalypse event is also for testing, including the large scale pvp and pve battles (500 + players) being built into the game (no need for a separate title I guess).

Combat mechanics are curretly being tuned for the action combat system. The tab targeting systems will be rolled out in the spring for testing.

Lastly, they do have a pvp flagging system, it just works a lot differently than people are accustomed to seeing.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I think it'll be a race to see which closes first: EQ2 or Rift. It looks like they both have about equal support last I checked (a couple of weeks ago).

It's a shame, because Rift (objectively) offers(ed) more, but I wouldn't recommend a move from one to the other (either way) currently. It'd be trading one uncertainty for another.

On a more positive note, there are several good, well supported, titles out right now, and it looks like more on the horizon for a range of play styles.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Neiloch

Neiloch Member

Last I heard is that everyone can get PK'd but if you aren't flagged for it the PK'er suffers a penalty but also getting PK'd while not flagged incurs a stiffer death penalty than if you were.

Which sounds super shitty.

Mind you had to pull this out of players and devs over the course of DAYS quite a while ago. They either didn't seem to understand what was being asked by me and several other players or inherently knew a open, clear cut explanation of it would turn off PvE players.

Every game that seems to allow PK'ing no matter what just uses open world PvE as 'bait' for PvP. I really don't understand why developers think they are going to 'ease in' or bait and switch in PvP and people who do not not to PvP will tolerate it. They'll get PK'd twice while trying to quest or kill monsters and just quit. Not "Oh gosh I hated open world PvP for years but someone ganking me has opened my eyes!"

If I can't avoid PvP outright while doing PvE on my own terms, forget it. It's a 'non-starter.'

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

The way it works, as I understand it is yes, you can attack a non-flaged player. However, if that player doesn't fight back, and you kill them:

(1) The killed player will drop, at best, a few harvesting resources.

(2) The killing player will incur "corruption". Corruption means all skills, abilities, and bonuses are degraded. The higher the corruption score, the higher the degredation. There is no decay. The only way to clear it complete diety repeatables or get killed by another player.

(3) Corrupted players appear on bounty hunter maps.

(4) Corrupted players drop their gear, not just what they are wearing, but inside bags as well.

(5) Corrupted players respawn in random locations.

(6) Corrupted players get "red" names, flagging them to the public, and they are fair game to everyone.

I can't remember how the death penalty on the killed player works (I need to re-look at that), but, everything else is desgned to make killing a non-flagged player stupidly expensive.

These guys are really paying attention to feedback and dropping, adding, or modifying game elements when they don't work or when people just don't like something. They are aware the pvp/flagging system needs to make sense. We'll just have to see what it looks like at launch.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

For example:

Rhodris and Tekka observe Fuli sitting in a meadow picking flowers and sharing cookies with bunnies.

Rhodris "There's Fuli, he's not flagged."

Tekka "Totally worth it."

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

Damn straight!! Especially if there are cookies involved!!

Edit: rephrased sentence - much better now....

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

Cookies are bad for bunnies. That's cruelty to animals.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
  10. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

This was both interesting and unfortunate.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. Grundge

Grundge New Member

Anyone into console games?

Never liked consoles. Last one I owned was turbo grafx and didn't like it that much. But since Black Friday I got myself a PS4 pro and a 4k tv and decided to give this new generation of console gaming a go.

And wow I am really having a lot of fun. God of War, Spiderman 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, the Last Guardian and now I'm on Red Dead 2.

Have to admit getting used to a controller was difficult at first but now I am used it. Haven't touched an mmo since then. Was doing Beta for Azeroth before that but I got bored and console gaming has filled that mmo void nicely.

Though I see you can play ESO and FFXIV on PS4 so might give one of those try when the mmo itch picks up again. Though maybe not FFXIV because of the required Main Story Questline isnt something I'd want to do.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I'm not sure about the interface for ESO, but I used to play FFXIV with a game controller instead of mouse and keyboard (swapped for chatting or decorating), and I actually did better with it that way. It helped minimize some physical limitations I have.

I expect ESO would be a similar experience. Though I don't need it for that game.

13. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

I have a PS4 as well. Currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition. That game is amazing and is leaving a lasting impression on me. The Infamous series is very good, try Infamous Second Son if you can get a copy, I had to pickup a second hand one as it is an old title.

I play Warframe's on the PC and it is the only MMO like title I am playing atm. I don't have a lot of spare time as I decided a couple of months ago to build a new workshop and it has consumed my spare time. On to the last of the painting, electrical fit out tomorrow and then I should be able to complete the trim so might have some free time to play games shortly:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I feel like I was watching a clone of the SOE->Daybreak story.

15. Neiloch

Neiloch Member

You can buy a story skip up to the latest xpac if so inclined but its about $25, or just past the base game which is $18. Or you can just skip the cut scenes every time they come up. "Do you not have 'ESC' keys?!"
    Personally I like the story though since its not 'mmo story' and actually compares to proper FF and other RPG's. Not walls of text or completely character agnostic cut scenes like most others. Guys getting their arms cut off, little 12 year olds personally killing their fanatic mother, dragons ripping their own eyes out. Ya know, **** like that.

about 95% of what they have to run is normal content you would need to unlock anyway so its more of a guided path of progression.

Here is the site/trailer for the upcoming update. Not upcoming xpac, upcoming free content update on the 8th.
    FINAL FANTASY XIV: Stormblood | A Requiem for Heroes

16. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

Totally agree! If I can't avoid all PvP by choice when I'm PvE'ing I'm not interested.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I'm a firm believer that games need to stop trying to be everything to everyone in part because PvE and PvP don't properly mix. When devs try to mix the two often both sides suffer unless they're effectively separated. Even then one will often be effected by changes to the other.

In the future when I want to kill people I'll probably be playing Camelot Unchained and when I want to run errands for NPCs I'll play something else.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

Tomorrow (8th January 2019) the Living World season 4 episode 5 will go live in Guild Wars 2.

Cost?: Zero, just log in

How long will the servers be down?: They won't, you will get a message a new patch is available, log out and restart and you are back in the game as soon as you downloaded the new content.

Edit: Just remembered that you probably have to own the latest expansion (Path of Fire) to access the season. If you don't, you can still log in and unlock it for free and play it whenever you buy the expansion.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Lateana

Lateana New Member

You are correct about how this is supposed to work. When I brought it up on the old forums a Dev said that was correct and I was subsequently reviled by the anti-PVE folks for being against the penalties being placed on the innocent. I made my case against it as well as others who agreed with me, all to no avail. The Devs were dead set on placing penalties on the PVE crowd. They ran off a lot of folks who, like me, had paid money into their crowd funding expecting a valid PVE experience.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Neiloch

Neiloch Member

I was investigating the game, considering supporting it when I found out. Like I said it was like pulling teeth because I suspect they know how much 'pro-pve' people will hate it and are trying to keep it quiet for numbers and potential 'bait and switch.' (Aion, BDO, Lineage, ArcheAge)

One person actually asked what I would suggest (very belligerently of course), I had a lot of ideas but it came down to if they insist on open world pvp and flagging with no separation the PK'ers should have 'their day completely ruined' for a single PvE PK.

For example if I got killed minding my own I should rest comfortably in the knowledge that anyone who took part will be getting NOTHING done for the rest of the day. A penalty so strong simply not being flagged for PvP while in an open zone should draw cries of 'trolling' by pro-pvp players because killing such a person would be almost as effective the same as temporary suspension, but through gameplay.

What ever the system the end result should be so highly undesirable that even allowing it is pointless since 99% of the players who know how bad the penalty is wouldn't bother. THEN I would consider it.

• Agree Agree x 4