1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Other Games....

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Fuli, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

And that reminds me of the early days of EQ1 and not in a good way. When EQ1 came out I was in my 20s and had way more disposable time/energy and as has been pointed out over and over, there wasn't really much competition. I remember dying in Guk or somewhere underground (been a long time sorry) and a friend I knew from UO had to come and summon or drag my corpse for me or maybe he even just had me follow him and mass slaughter (again long time ago) to even get my stuff back. He had leveled fast and was high enough level that all the mobs were trivial for him. Not something I ever want to repeat.

2. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

Agreed, that just doesn't even sound remotely fun.

3. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

I just can't see there being a big target audience for this...or it will be yet another game that promises something and then after they go live, they start changing things after they realize the "masses" aren't interested.

SotA is a great example. (Richard Garriott aka UO series) I was so hopeful. I was one of the $25 contributors in the very beginning. Then it became all about a land grab and you had to buy a house/land from them for hundreds of real dollars (like buying from a store) before the game was out of alpha to even get a chance at a good plot and I walked away. Some ideas seems so grand on paper but in reality they aren't viable. SotA and Landmark are why I will never put money into a game pre-release again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

EQ2 is a good example too. I wasn't around then, but I understand EQ2 pivoted hard after launch, making massive sweeping changes during its first year to try to appeal to an audience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

I think you're right. I started at launch of EQ2, but it was so buggy I went with some EQ1 friends to try out WoW and stayed there until I hit what was then max level and got bored and went back to EQ2. By then it was playable and the kinks had been worked out. In all honestly besides massive bug fixes I don't know what else changed because in the beginning I did not say long enough to have a true feel for the game and by the time I returned I think the changes had already been made.

6. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Among other things...
    /glances at the shadow of LU13

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

8. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Something is in the air. Fubar's by both Blizzard and Bethesda within the last 30 days.

• Fishy Fishy x 1
  9. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

It's almost like Daybreak secretly took control of them...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
  10. Feldon

They could have literally tweeted Adam Savage and asked how to do a canvas bag.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Wait, it gets worse. They invited a bunch of social media types to a prelaunch bash at the Greenbriar in actual WV. Guess what the swag bags were in? Three guesses, first two don't count.

And the excuse is SO FREAKING DUMB. They're CANVAS F***ING BAGS.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Feldon

Looks like they decided to sack up and fix it.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Going to guess someone from legal wandered down to gently and politely enquire just WTF they were thinking and smoking...

15. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Some one up the food chain said, "Fix this. Now."

They are actually handling this the right way. Yes, they screwed up. However, instead of ignoring the issue, deleting posts, and banning people for complaining, they are owning the problem and addressing it.

Contrast this with how DBG would have handled it. Hell, DBG might have thought this kind of bait and switch was super-clever marketing.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

17. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

In other news, for folks that have been following the game (I've been following the case), you might see more coming out of Star Citizen in the near future.

18. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Enough about pvp!

Pre-alpha reveal focusing on the mmorpg elements: pve, crafting, trading, nodes, social, stock markets, etc

• Like Like x 1
  19. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

Stock Markets?

Sadly, I can't take anything seriously until it is at least available to try. And then, I find often that I'm not interested. I had great hopes for SoTA, but it almost looks like they are taking advice from DBG in having pre-sales, and making the entire game a cash shop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Neiloch

Neiloch Member

looks like a good alternative if you are worried Rift is gonna go under.