1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

EverQuest II: Chaos Descending Expansion Announced

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Sep 14, 2018.

1. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

It's really hard on the eyes. Not to mention very cluttered and busy.

2. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

That is the 'non stacking ward' thing ;)
    Unless your wards are too small to take the damage, there is no reason to have more than one up.

3. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Yeah, i get now.

It isn't "wards can't stack". It's "Stacking wards is a waste of time".

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

I love undocumented behavior.

At the very least I would log it as:
    "The ward X has replaced the ward Y on target Z as it has a larger value."
    "Your ward X fizzled because it was replaced by Z's larger ward Y."

5. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

That's not what's happening though, wards aren't replacing other wards or fizzling.

6. Feldon

But only 1 ward works, right?

7. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

It depends on how you define "works." :p

tl;dr: You can no longer use multiple wards to successively reduce the amount of bleedthrough damage. But if you have ward A and ward B on a player and the non-bleedthrough damage of a hit exceeds the value of ward A, ward B will still soak up damage.

It's basically how it should have been in the first place.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  8. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

This is where I had it messed up. I was under impression ward B would not ward damage.

Thanks for clarifying.

9. Caam

Caam Member

Consider this: An attack hits for 100 million damage. For the encounter, on the target, wards have 25% bleed-through. Wards can only absorb 75 million of the damage. If there are 75 million in wards on the character, then all that passes through is the 25 million in bleed-through damage. If there are only 60 million in wards, 25 million bleed-through hits and 15 million in un-warded damage hits.

Now for the $64k question: Will cleric reactive heals trigger on the 25 million that bled through? Or will the 25 million always hit? I would expect, in the case of the 60 million ward, that the 15 million would trigger a reactive. Does the 25 million get covered by a reactive?

10. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Reactives heal AFTER the damage comes in. So the damage will hit and then the reactives will trigger (if the toons survive the hit) and heal up.

11. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

@druids: HOT spamming!

12. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Yeah.. everybody is spamming... shaman have to spam direct heals to deal with the constant BT...

13. Caam

Caam Member

Then the question is: will the damage that bled through trigger a reactive?

Druids also have a lot of proc heals. They can do a lot of healing without pressing the heal buttons. Having played a warden from launch, I've had the chance to experience all of the different periods where things were good, bad and ugly. I'm still not sure where this expansion sits on that list, I haven't played enough to know for sure.

14. RhodrisNZ

TBH, as a casual player, I don't really understand most of the mechanics involved, nor do I really want to. I don't care to go into it all to the degree where I have to have spreadsheets and basically the game becomes a second job. My oldest and most played character is a Fury which I play when grouping with a friend - all I want (and need) to know is: can I still do my job effectively with these changes to healers?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

My experience so far is... if the group has lots of dps, you can keep them alive while spam healing. If the group doesn't, solo healing isn't an option right now (T1 heroics). Which is ironic.. since it lowers the dps even more.

This was with a warden. I'm sure my mystic would struggle even more. There is lots of damage that ignores wards, lots of cures and constant pulsing damage.

16. RhodrisNZ

Thanks, Mermut - so I'm guessing that she'll be ok for just ordinary running around, questing and soloing? My friend and I don't do heroics as a rule.

17. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Questing and soloing is fine. The 'mystery healing nerf' is only in group content.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Feldon

If i was satisfied with casual soloing and no grouping I'd still be playing eq2. It's the pain upon pain that they pile on grouping every year that sucked all the fun out of it for me.

And to be frank if all I want to do is solo, why should i play an MMO when there are better and less expensive solo experiences? I can rattle off 100 solo games with cinematic quality storylines and characters you really care about. When's the last time I cared what happened to an NPC in eq2? Probably Nipik. And the designer that created that got moved to EQNext. Next time we saw the otters, they went all Walking Dead which was about as unsatisfying an end as I can think of.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

OMG. I will never, EVER forgive that quest line.

Frankly, for all its flaws I'm finding Fallout 76 more satisfying than EQ2 right now. That's just sad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

I basically solo or duo my way around LOTRO. Even as a solo/duo player I couldn't take EQ2 anymore. They made it so I couldn't keep my alts up. While I almost never grouped I liked to keep my characters with max level of all spells/abilities and at least decent gear. Once that became impossible for a causal non-raid player I left.

Why play an MMO? For me it's that immersive "live" world feeling you can't get from a single player game. I may not group, but I like seeing other people running around the Shire and once in a while I do group up with a random stranger to meet a goal. I like chatting with people in World chat or having them there to ask questions if I'm stuck. Once I got an invite to duo with a guy who did not speak English and I could not speak Russian but somehow we still made it through an area too hard to solo. It's that randomness that AI can't imitate in a single player game. Also I enjoy crafting and an open world market gives crafting a purpose beyond outfitting your characters. Lastly, I enjoy decorating houses and it's nice knowing others may see your work and I enjoy touring other people's houses as well.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1