1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Other Games....

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Fuli, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

At least once a week, DBG does something that pisses me off, and when that happens, I always feel compelled to encourage a discussion about other options.

The DBG Department of Bubble Gnomeland Security has no authority here, so we can openly acknowledge that said other options do in fact exist, which should be helpful to lots of folks.

I'm excited about AOC, and I hope folks will share stuff about games they are playing or keeping an eye on as well.

Regarding AOC, the latest from the alpha 1 stress and action combat test....

This guy does a great job posting short, informative little bits about what the game is about. This video has info about the upcoming public alpha test that is open to everyone who registers:

Streams from the latest alpha event, one short one, one long one.

2. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

The two main games I'm looking forward to are Ship of Heroes and Camelot Unchained.

While I'm generally not a big fan of open world PvP slapped onto a PvE game, CU is designed as a PvP game, though it looks like it will have a lot of unique elements. (beyond Luperchan, because OMG. who doesn't want to play a manky little leprechaun with an attitude problem?)

And Ship of Heroes because...super heroes. PEW PEW PEW. Sometimes you just need to kick a bitch in the face, with super powers.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

I'm still playing LOTRO. It has a strong community still and I love the lore. I am not into PvP and all the newer games coming out seem to have PvP you can't opt out of.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

Right now I'm playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker. I'm not playing any MMOs atm.

I'm a backer for Camelot Unchained, which is essentially working out to be the RvR experience from DAoC on steroids. I don't think it'll be a main game for me, but it does look like something I will enjoy when I want that fix. I'm also a fan of Mark Jacobs and the team working on the game so I'm happy to throw a few dollars their way.

I'm a big fan of super hero games but the only real options right now are DCUO and Champions Online. Champions is actually in worse shape than EQ2 in a lot of ways and for similar reasons. In my opinion SOE and DBG hosed DCUO post level 30 by making it a gear grind and also by making it too heavily designed for console play. Besides, I'm not giving DBG money for anything any time soon. SO, there are a few games in the works designed to be spiritual successors to City of Heroes. Of those, Ship of Heroes looks the most promising. If it pans out I will be playing it, even if only part time.

I kind of poke in and check on Pantheon from time to time, but, to be honest, I mostly expect disappointment from that title. I see people getting what they thought they wanted and realizing it's not actually what they wanted combined with a bit of simple failure to deliver. Still, I was in EQ beta and loved that game until DAoC dragged me away. I'm curious about where it goes.

Honestly, that's about it at the moment. I could list all of the games I've played and tested and why I'm not playing them now, but I doubt anyone really cares. I might be willing to go play GW2 or SWTOR, maybe RIFT if I just wanted to decorate. Most other games just don't interest me right now. I'm a bit burned out.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

AoC pvp explained.

One of the cool things about griefing penalties is the bounty system. I really think the dev's are trying make the world more dangerous and interesting while not forcing pvp on anyone who wants to avoid it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I played lotro while on eq2 break number 1. Made some great friends in that game that i still have to this day.

Loved the lore, the stories, the beautiful graphics, and the big open world. The dungeons were great. I hated to combat mechanics and found the classes to be not very inspiring or interesting. At the time, the game was pretty buggy.

Eq2 break #2 was DDO. Loved the action combat, character customization, itemization system, and the puzzles. No real open world to explore and the crafting system was garbage.

Currently playing ESO on a very casual basis. I really have no complaints about this game. Responsive customer-focused development, excellent story telling, good crafting systems, pvp, fun dungeons and bosses, tons and tons of different things to do, people everywhere.

I'm likely to give path of exile a try here soon.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

Playing Warframe currently and the more I play the more it sucks me in. It's not an MMO at all and it is mostly based around quick play missions. Lobby based and allows for 4 player groups at max from what I can see.

I spend a lot of time reading the Wiki to try and understand all the stuff that is going on and the items in the game etc. It is not that well explained.

8. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

How's the game performance in ESO after the last expansion? I've been hearing mixed things about them pushing the limit of the game engine and whatnots.

9. Mysstie

Mysstie Member

I've been playing a fair amount of Warframe lately (Rank 6 now). Since I solo mostly there are some missions I can't really do and that's fine. I'm still playing EQ2 though. Other non MMO games I've played are Stardew Valley, Kerbal Space Program, Banished, EPIC Pinball, Star-wars Episode 1 Racer, Spellforce 2 Anniv Ed. These have all been through Gog.com. I've got a number of games on my account I've yet to play (won them in Twitch giveaways).

Really haven't had the desire to startup in another MMO game. Just a different variation of what happens in EQ2.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Dunno. I've been too busy to play for a few months. 4th qtr is always kinda crazy time for work stuff. Prob won't be back in game until after the new year.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I've been thinking about poking my head back in, of the two games I like with housing, it has the most legs. I don't generally do anything too intensive, so we'll see (will update once I've fiddled around). While I find some of what they've aggressively done in the cash shop a bit distasteful, it hasn't reached the point of being a deal breaker for me like what NCSoft did to Guild Wars 2 when they let Nexxan get their claws in it.

12. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

To answer my own question: I went ahead and hopped into game since the Witch's Festival has started. I have noticed a bit of 'hang time' if I land on the side of a rock or whatever, and a few stutters now and then in crowded areas. However, I don't PvP or do hard mode so I don't need the super twitch response time.

Also. How can you not like Plunder Skulls? You crack them open to collect prizes.

13. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Admittedly, i get no end of enjoyment from breaking into houses, assasinating the occupants, and robbing the hell out of the place.

I can do that for hours. ESO was made to make the Fuli happy.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  14. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

It makes me feel warm and fulfilled inside to leave a trail of corpses and empty containers in my wake.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Info about upcoming alpha's:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

17. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

That makes me sad in my pants. I've always had a soft spot for Rift, and it developed - hands down - the best housing of the games I've played. (SWG, LotRO, FFXIV, EQ2) The independent colored light sources, and wide assortment of environmental effects, as well as the terrain paints put it well ahead of the pack, and haven't been matched in any other game, to my knowledge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

It makes me sad too, but mostly because of my memories of the game from an older time (a group of friends and I went to play it during the SOE hack back during Destiny of Velious). It really felt like what would happen if EQ2 were built upon a better technical base, though even Rift's tech began to crumble upon the years of cruft.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Reading the thread about the situation on the Rift forums and ouch:

[​IMG]

Also:

Stick a fork in it.

• Shocked Shocked x 2
  20. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Poor Brasse. She just can't catch a break :(

• Agree Agree x 5