1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Serious Question...Seriously

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Fuli, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

This is for the grouchy gaggle of women folk frequenting this fine forum:

Why?

Why always a healer, illy, troub, or swash?

I've looked everywhere for this rule, and I can't find it. I also have it on good authority your character creation options are the same as mine.

What is this secret plot that has been afoot for decades? What does it mean?

What........are..........you all......up to?

Edit:
    This thread posts a question of grave importance. Clearly.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  2. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

As part of the grouchy gaggle of women folk, your hypothesis needs work. My main is a shadowknight. Of the four you have listed, I do have a high-level healer (Fury) but I also like the ability to do the most dps I can in a healing class. I've never played an illy or a swash - I have a troub, but don't do much with her as she annoys me lol.

Edit: And if we told you what we were all up to, that would be no fun, and would spoil the surprise!!

Here - have a cookie (if you dare.....) bahahahahaha......

3. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Shadow knights do seem to be a somewhat frequent choice.

I'm wondering.......the evilness combined with life/health stealing abilities?

Just feels familiar maybe?

I suppose the sk/healer comparison is consistent. One drains your life, the other is empowered to decide if you get to live. Same thing, really.

Edit:

No, no, no.

Upon deep reflection, I have decided not take such a cynical view (sk/healer motivations).

I am however going to remain wary.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I'm not sure I qualify in spirit for the gaggle, but I do on a technicality, so here goes.

My first 'main' in EQ was a monk, I had two other 'alt-mains' - a druid, for solo farming and crafting. also my raid guild needed a healer for the healers who could snare. The second was a beastlord, because badassery.

My first 'main' in EQ2 was a halfling monk. Over the years, my 'mains' have been: bruiser, melee warden (solo hybrid survivability), melee/daggers coercer (solo, MASS dps just for funsies), and beastlord (see aforementioned badassery)

Most games I play, I choose some sort of dps/tank/healer hybrid. Way back in the day in WoW it was a feral druid spec split between cat and bear. Though my first character there, and first character to 50 was a gnome warrior - because WHY NOT!

City of Heroes - energy/energy blaster blue side. Energy/Energy brute and dark/kinetic corrupter red side.

Back to the question, though. There was a study or paper done in the early 2000's that showed females (in general) tended toward healer/support roles.

I don't even approach that mold. *coughs*

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Dude. Ain't nobody got wards enough for this...

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

Warden, Shadowknight, Ratonga Brigand. I have plenty of other classes but those are the only 3 I bother to break out for adventure content. Why? 'Cos killing stuff is just tedious and boring, k?. Warden can mostly ignore agro and survive. SK just AEs it down with minimal fuss. Ratonga brigand sneaks by and looks cute :D

As for the bigger plan - if I told you that I'd have to kill you ....

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  7. Mecah

Mecah New Member

Being a non-grouchy (I hope, but I am tired) woman, I have never fit the mold. Been playing EQ, EQ2, and WoW since early 2000. EQ1 main = Paladin, EQ2 main(s) = Wizard, Conjuror, Bruiser (Yes, I tank and am good at it), Defiler (there it is). And since I just started WoW, I am playing a hunter, only level 75, so we shall see how this one goes, although my next one will be a tank if I like the end game.

I think woman mostly playing support is based on the temperament of the woman behind the keyboard. My temperament is a range of: I will Ice Comet your ass or let me make you brownies. I have a strong personality and have no issues leading the group via tank, blowing **** up, or healing.

That was back in the day when woman didn't announce that they played MMOs unlike now. I wonder what that study would show now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I actually think it would have similar results, and here's my entirely anecdotal reason why:

Since I am a-typical in ways that extend beyond game preference, I'll exclude myself.

A fair number, well over half, of the female players I've known in the last 18 years online, and the last 35 or so years in multiple game formats, play character archetypes that fall into the 'support' role - whether it's healing, buff/debuff, or subterfuge as a main. The same females would often have alts, some frequently played, that were more dps or tank oriented, in games where alts were a thing.

I don't think this is because they're female, necessarily. I think it's because, in general, females game differently and have different goals and methods to achieve them.

There are outliers, of course, and degrees of expression, but believe it holds as a whole.

Regardless, my motto has always been: ~ Game on! ~

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mecah

Mecah New Member

Exactly! Play what you want and have fun. I like it all, so I do it all.

I would progress into a deeper line of thought, but that would require my over tired brain to think, so my above statement stands :)

10. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

I love my SK because she's efficient. Why bother killing one thing at a time when you can do a whole round-up and get the lot at once? Although I do get cranky when I don't get a perfect circle of corpses around my feet....

I also solo a lot, so having good self-heals as well is a bonus.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

OCD mass murder.... I like it :p:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

In a lot of games where we're playing together Tekka is usually the one punching people in the face and I'm generally the one doing the support stuff or nuking things from range.

I do remember that paper/study that tried to explain why so many females played support characters. I have no idea how valid it was. What I've personally noticed over time is that there seems to be two basic camps. Broadly speaking, there's the chicks that want to be useful/needed and the chicks that just want to feel cool and stomp things. As long as everyone's having fun both work and have their place as far as I'm concerned.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

-goes Godzilla mode and destroys Tokyo-

I do like the punchy-punch, and also the utility to survive it, which is why I tend to enjoy games that allow for me to build hybrid characters.

GO GO Tekzilla!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

I'm a guy, but for some reason, two games running (CoH & EQ2) my niche has been healers. (Further if you count D&D tabletop games.)

Some folks, it just fits their nature.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Support / healer classes for life! I like to think it has to do with my affinity for servant leadership.

I'm also sad support classes are less and less of a thing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

Yeah I've always loved playing support classes, I even main support in Overwatch. I think that's one of the reasons I've had trouble getting into newer MMOs because so many of them don't have true support/tank classes.

17. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

As part of the grouchy gaggle of women folk, I played an SK in EQ1 as my main for many years and was the main puller on raids (back when FD pull was a necessity) and my husband was a shaman. When we started EQ2 we both felt like we were due for a change, but we also knew how good of a duo an SK/shaman made so I became the defiler and he the SK as mains. However, over the years he stopped playing as much as I did so my Necromancer caught up and stayed right with my defiler and became my favorite character. I think your hypothesis is flawed. :)

All of that said now that I've been in a computer related job for 26 years plus years of gaming before that, my hands much prefer a ranged class to a tank class. Less twitchy. In LOTRO (currently playing) my main when husband is online is a minstrel (healer), but my main when I'm solo is a hunter (like a ranger in EQ2 sort of).

18. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

A big benefit of posing a hypothesis is to flush out the truth, even when the hypothesis fails.

In terms of the small sample taken from this forum:

(1) The lady folk are just as happy removing your face as nurturing you back to life. It's merely a matter of whether or not they like you.

(2) If you are uncomfortable with uncertainty about what list you happen to be on at any point in time, seek out the men from this sample.

Knowledge is useful.

Digression:

Personally, I've always played scouts primarily. A ranger on vox (pvp), and then a swash - later betrayed to a brigand ((on Crushbone) after hurricane and offensive debuffs ceased to matter).

The brigand was by far my favorite toon. Awesome utility, decent dps, and all that scout sneakiness. Besides, how can one not love the idea of a grunting, pudgy little cheap-shotting halfling thug? Loved that toon.

I've tried pretty much everything over the years except enchanters. Had 2 other toons in the mix:

I played my pally almost as much as my brig. It's the only tank class I enjoyed playing, and I do really like tanking.

I tried all the healers and didn't like any of them until i tried a defiler (before shamans were cool). I just liked the proactive healing and utility nature of the class.

I also learned that no matter what the game, I will NEVER play a dress-wearing, finger-wiggling, stick-pointing mage. Gross.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  19. Mecah

Mecah New Member

This is fantastic!

I spit out my diet coke on this one. Thank you!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Agaris

Agaris New Member

It's simple really - guys like to play toons that go BOOM, BLAM and KAPOW as well as be the highest on the dps parse.

Since this cannot be the only type of class in a group, women will agree to play the healer/support roles and file it away for future payback at the appropriate time :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Fishy Fishy x 1