1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

When have you really quit a f2p game?

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Zhaanish, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play...
    --WOPR, prophet without honors

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. Grundge

Grundge New Member

I quit years back around AoM release. I was subbing 6 accounts and I refused to pay the $140 for premium expac for each account. If you guys remember before that they had the pre-order discounts. That was in my price range but this new crap wasn't.

From then on I would play on and off. Doing the betas for the mount and the festival stuff. But as I saw the quality of each new expac decrease it just reaffirmed my decision to quit. Plus getting rid of dungeon maker never sat well with me. Then the devs became asshats, or even more so than before, and I think the ousting of Feldon is what made never visit that site ever again.

I still have fond memories of when I played and even now I appreciate a lot of the fun I had and it surprises me that I dont have the urge to even try to log in. Even Eq1, I tried to play it again a few years back but everything has changed so much it feels like I need to go to college and earn a degree just to understand whats going on with all the stats and everything in that game.

Just interesting to mention because I do go back now and then to other mmos Ive played. FFXIV, Tera, hell even I gave lotro some love, but not the everquest series. Its over.

Only mmo for me nowadays though is WoW. I always hit up every new expac. I'm no longer crazy into it with guilds and all that but I do feel I get my moneys worth from each expansion so I keep at it. Once thing Ive always loved is how I can reach max level and still have half the zones of the new expac to see. Good stuff. Plus I really loved Draenor garrisons, not so much the horde mud huts but the alliance keep was great. Still hit that area up to this day before I log out.

Ah well just Id pop in and share my thoughts.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JimmyBananas

JimmyBananas Guest

Only a few more days until Battle for Azeroth is released -- my wife and I are amped. We haven't had much luck with guilds, but I love that we're still able to enjoy all the same content as the people who are hard-core raiders, just on the normal and LFR difficulties (heroic/mythic raids tend to be a mess with randoms). Can't wait to try out that new expedition mode.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Just so you all know, DBG is advertising EQ and EQ2. I saw an EQ2 ad just the other day online, at a cartoon website.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  5. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Swamp gas. Must have been swamp gas you saw.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Since it was a picture of Lanys, that means She isn't dead... just exiled to the Interwebs!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Charlice

Charlice Active Member

that's just insane. next you'll be saying you miss Smedley.

8. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

For all his faults--and they were legion--Smed at least seemed to like the game...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I've always thought of it like this. Everything Smokejumper did was either under the order of or by the permission of someone else. Even at his height when he had probably too much control over Norrath as a whole, Smokejumper still had to answer to someone. Or, at least he should have been answering to someone. Who was the person that was at the top of the totem pole of poor decision making and questionable management before, during, and after Georgeson?

[​IMG]

I shall now play you the Hero's Song of my people.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

You mean SmokeJumper? Smed hated EQ2.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Feldon

I am curious what has led to this belief.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Lock It! Lock It! x 1
  12. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I have a whole list of reasons why. Several of them I've posted before in a few places. Some of them I know you've read.

To cut it short, IF Smed was the boss then he was ultimately responsible. If he did not see what was wrong, it's his fault. If he did not act on what was wrong, that was his fault. If he could not act on what was wrong, it's still his fault. There is no follow or get out of the way option if you're the one responsible for running a successful operation. You lead or you don't. If you can't lead, that failure is also your fault.

All of the things that might be able to be pinned on Smokejumper pale in comparison to all of the things that Smed is responsible for, because all of Smokejumper's FU's are also included under Smed's tally.

13. Feldon

I think you and I are talking about the same thing, but characterizing it two different ways. Smed focused on the shiny things he wanted to. He didn't like EQ2 for numerous reasons including it had too many classes, was too casual, too scripted, it didn't have PvP, and it wasn't EQ with better graphics. As far as I know (I wasn't there), he didn't pay it much mind once it launched.

All the things that happened under SmokeJumper you can say they're Smed's fault and be technically correct, but it wasn't because Smed was issuing decrees and making those decisions. It's because he avoided it altogether. He gave nearly unlimited autonomy to SJ over all three EQ games and then turned his attention to things he found more interesting.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  14. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

They are probably using a free ad credit/test for an online marketing firm.

15. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Smed was ultimately *responsible* to Sony for the performance of eq2 and the rest of the eq2 franchise, but Georgeson was running the show.

As Feldon noted, Smed was no fan of the game. In fact, he didn't much care for pc mmo's at all.

This why I chuckle when I see the occasional delusional post that Amazon might buy the IP because Smed is there.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I think my point was somewhat missed and confirmed at the same time. I started to write a lengthy post trying to explain in detail and decided I don't care enough to bother.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  17. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

I totally relate to the not caring.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1