1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

When have you really quit a f2p game?

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Zhaanish, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

I've mentioned on other threads I quit actively playing EQ2 about 1.5 years ago. I had an annual subscription and it ran out last August 2017 but I had stopped playing well before it ran out. However, I still logged in only long enough to buy the recipe books from the holiday/festival events in case I went back to playing. It only takes about 5 minutes so I figured it was worth doing. Today Tinkerfest was announced (saw it on twitter) and I just realized I have zero interest in even acquiring the crafting books. That made the quitting part feel very final. Almost more than when I stopped playing and then stopped subbing. There was always that "I could go back if I really want to" feeling. Now I know I'll never want to go back so it feels more final and a bit sad.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. JimmyBananas

JimmyBananas Guest

Whenever I've decided to quit a game, I've done it cold-turkey. With me, if it gets to a point where the cons outweigh the pros so heavily that quitting is even contemplated, I come to realize that I'm in a situation where I'm not enjoying my hobby. I'll enjoy the memories, sure, but I'm often much more interested in the next home I'm bound to find and everything it has in store for me. If there were people there that I liked, I usually give them my email and say that they're always welcome to join me on the next game, but even people I've known for 5-10 years on MMORPGs have the tendency to drop off the face of the planet once I no longer play their game.

As they say; where one door closes, another opens. The most important part of moving on in MMORPGs is realizing that you're looking for a new, fun game to play, with all its flaws and charms -- not EQ2 in an alternate reality. You'll never find that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I lingered in EQ2 for, lets just say a few years, without really playing it. I had a couple of very good friends left, deco, dwindling RP.

This past spring the 'break' felt different. The holiday gauntlet was done, and I'd finished up my last deco project. When my last two friends and I left to go kick around in other games, I had no intention of going back, and was pretty sure I wouldn't.

While one friend did return, and I wish her the best of luck, myself and the other friend had an EQ2 uninstall party instead. My game is long gone, so I don't really feel as bad as I might to leave the current 'game'.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I have taken a couple of breaks over the years, but last year, I logged in, gave away all my plat, made sure folks had my email address, and that was it for me.

I just came to the realization that the game was not the original game I loved (not even close to it), and that i no longer liked it.

Futhermore, I didn't like the way customers have been treated since DBG took over, and that includes Holly and the designers.

I knew it was over.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. stach

stach Member

I played PoP one time through the Sig quest, and realized I hated the game. So I quit, I still have one account active because I forgot to unsub when the cheap year ended, but I don't log in at all anymore. Also after getting banned from Discord for making a joke the other day, I realized the company does not care one bit if they lose customer. Which is crazy to me, if this game goes away all those developers will be out of a job.

But I guess their ego won't let them think that way. Or they will be moving on to whatever new game DBG is going to put out, which if any of the current team on EQ2 show up on it, would be a big red flag to stay away from it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Note: Actually, I was pretty much done after ToT and didn't buy KA in the fall. But in the following March, I decided to give it one last shot.

I bought the expansion, played for about 3 weeks, gave away my stuff, and cancelled my sub.

After stepping away for a few months, it became obvious to me just bad and over-priced the game had become.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

If I had played ToT I would've never bought KA, but AoM was just made free and I thought it was pretty alright.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Charlice

Charlice Active Member

I've logged in once in the last two months and that was only to collect my 500sc. I haven't even done that this month.
    I think I have a couple more months subbed with krono then I'll cancel.

I might come back again, I might not. It just all seems too hard now to bother with.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

I have a fun guild and some friends outside the guild that we are doing heroics and a few expert runs with a few nights a week so I have a good reason to log on. I don't do quests unless I get bored enough and most of the RP venues on AB are just not my style. Sadly, I am having fun just casually soloing in EQ. But once my kronos are gone, im likely gone also, but we will see if DBG even lasts another year.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

Several years ago my partner and I set budgets for ourselves because we're fat whales that will blow all of out Cheeto and Mt Dew money on silly things if we don't rein it in. That has made it a lot easier for me to step away from certain things. I can throw money at an extra sub or I can buy something off of GoG. I can spend money in the cash shop or I can have a cheeseburger. Scarcity can help prioritize. I didn't immediately throw money at the last two EQ2 expansions partly because I didn't want to give up anything else for them.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Rosyposy

Rosyposy Active Member

BTW, @Castegyre , your post on the 'other' forums was just deleted. I happened to have it open at the time, so I saved it to a .pdf file...

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Yeah.. I noticed it 'poofed' this morning too. I'm guessing no warning or explanation either...

13. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. No one said a word before or since as to why. If I were to ask I assume the excuse would be that it was off topic or something if someone bothered to respond at all. It doesn't really matter, but it certainly isn't a way to win me over.

14. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

I think Daybreak has made it very clear that they have no desire to win potential customers over.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

A while back, a guildy said "They are making the game for themselves, not for the players." They may have reasons for the choices they are making, but without transparency and trust, we'll never know what those are.

The divide grows. :(

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Yep. EQ2 has not been a customer focused franchise since Geoergeson was lead designer. It's developer focused.

Everything they do is about them - what they want and what they feel like doing. Thus, we get poor quality that requires manipulative and deceptive business practices to induce sales.

Simple story, really.

Note: Not a blanket statement. As usual, i exclude the engineers, art folks, and Kaitheel.

Edit: spelling, grammar, clarity

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
  17. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Is it bad that I miss Smokejumper?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
  18. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Heck, I miss SoE!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Yes.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
  20. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

Now to further put a nail in this coffin, I got a new laptop and I think you can guess what did not get re-installed.

• Winner x 2
    • Shocked x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Appreciation x 1
    • Lock It! x 1