1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

More wasted resources or Kander making stuff up?

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Just Curious, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Just Curious

Just Curious Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

Huh. Maybe the jokes about Norrathian Battle Royale were more true than we thought...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

Because PVP servers always worked so well.

Because More servers always worked so well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

They are likely to make it "Members only" so that if you do want to pvp, you have to pay to do so. A little extra cash coming in, that way, or at least keep others to stay members longer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

PvP is never going to work unless there's a lot of care and attention devoted to it. The team couldn't handle it when it was full force, there is no way they can possibly handle it now. I'm gonna hope that was supposed to be a joke.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

Unless they're doing what they've always done, even before the sellout, and using an existing game(s) to test aspects for games in development.

Anyone remember the UI changes they made in EQ that hit SWG and EQ2 in some form?

Of course then there are the backward steps. Like the housing interface for SWG vs EQ2 when it released - and even still.

PvP in Norrath is GREAT... if you compare it to itself, however, compared to any other game I've played that's been designed with PvP as a major aspect of it, it is significantly worse.

And like Clementine said, they don't even have the staff to handle the few servers they have now, let alone if they added a high maintenance server.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

upload_2018-7-9_11-59-58.png

• Like Like x 1
  8. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

All things considered, insanity may be the only reasonable alternative.

Sanity is overrated. Just gives you rational thought. Insanity though, with that, anything is possible and there is no limit to your goals!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

I think it shows a level of desperation by DBG to get as much cash as possible - milking as much as possible for as long as possible.

10. JimmyBananas

JimmyBananas Guest

I'm starting to think that every once in a while, everyone at DBG goes to a meeting where they just roll a giant D10 with things like "Make a New Server!" "Add More Familiars!" and "Break More Stuff!" written on its sides.

Every time I think back and reminisce about the EverQuest franchise, I'm incredibly quickly reminded why I quit.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Dellmon

Dellmon Member

This is my completely tin foil hat theory with no actual knowledge - - pure speculation on my part.

I have to wonder if there was a corporate-wide goal to shoehorn-in to existing titles a "Twitch-able" gameplay which is what gave us Proving Grounds. And I have to wonder if that was driven by the Highly-Successful H1Z1 in that space so therefore all titles needed it.

I don't think that EQ2 is very Twitch-able as who wants to watch a player standing around in COV shouting LFG for hours. EQ2's group or multi-group play style does not lend a Twitch host being able to interact with their viewers like they are able to in solo play oriented game.

So I believe that PGs were introduced to give EQ2 a competitive playstyle that would allow external viewers to root or cheer for the Red or Blue team and that would make for a far more interesting watch.

While I don't believe this actually happened - - but I do think that is why PGs where introduced under a corporate mandate to meet this company goal.

Again - this is all T.F.H. theorizing on my part...and I have to wonder if this theory on my part is what is driving a return to a PVP play model as well...

• Like Like x 3
  12. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

An interesting theory. Fits the available facts so its good to go on for now.

13. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Every time I think this company can't raise the bar on dumb decisions, they go ahead and prove me wrong.

And please keep in mind, I started playing this game on Vox and played there for years.

They don't have the staff to build and maintain a credible pve game, and they are going to open up this nonsense?

The ONLY way this might work is to cap the server to level 20 and have twinks running around Antonica and Common Lands.

After that, they won't have the dev resources to respond to balancing issues.

All that aside, it should be pretty evident that people have given up on this company for PvP.

Lastly, if this is some kind of BR type gimmick server, I will laugh my ass off.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

Sorry, but I honestly can't believe people still pay them for the steaming pile EQ2 has become, much less waste their time playing it. It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion and just wishing it would crash already.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. stach

stach Member

They will make 3 servers , a solo one, a duo, and a group one (4) people. They will drop you into the server, through the barrel launcher thing, with no armor or weapons, and make you run around finding them before you start PvP battle which will only last until there is one team/person winning.

Oh and its going to be subs only server

EQ2 PvP !!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

I have speculated that there is a mail group for this across companies as a number of MMO's are going or have gone down the PQ path. Either that or someone in the industry has made a profit out of introducing this and everyone else wants to be on the band wagon.

Star Trek Online introduced competitive PvE, equivalent to PQ's, in Season 13 (April 2017) I believe. Wow is doing this in it's next expansion as well.

17. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Didn't the PvP time-lock server fail miserably?

• Agree Agree x 6
  18. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

Yup, it sure did.
    Don't see how they think it will work again.
    Sounds like short term thing to spin the wheels again.
    For the (ever)Quest for More Money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

EQ2 PvP !!!!!![/QUOTE]
    The more I contemplate this, the more plausible it seems.

If indeed rumors of Longdale trying to construct a BR style eq3 are true, then I could totally see management saying, "Well, you will need to test this concept before we authorize a single penny to fund it."

It could also be they have already basically built it, and that is the beta they are talking about. I mean, with U4, things can move pretty fast.

Regardless of what content they are talking about, I am inclined to believe it is likely to be a dumb concept of marginal quality that is cash-shop driven.

Perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised. We'll see.

20. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

I share your cynicism....