1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Percent Base Healing in PQs

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Mermut, May 31, 2018.

1. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Just in case this thread gets deleted off the EQ2 forums...

Feedback on healing in PQs:
    It appears that the TOTAL healing across all types of heals has been equalized...
    Normally, they aren't equal, because wards are never wasted, reactives suffer minimal wastage and HoTs suffer significant wastage.

Note: When I say 'total healing' I mean total potential healing, if there was no wastage. Not how much healing is actually used/done.

Wards are already inherantly 'stronger' since they prevent damage and are the only type of heal that can allow toons to survive hits in excess of their hitpoint pools.
    Reactives heal the instant after damage hits, so there is no 'lost time' between damage and heals.
    HoTs are either cast after damage takes place (a bad idea since you run the high risk of people taking extra damage before your hot goes off) or have wastage, because they are cast before damage goes in so the tick hits asap after damage does fire.
    Add to this, that wards and reactives have a duration of 30 sec where they are just waiting to be used and most hots last for less then 10 seconds, HoTs are already 'weaker' then wards and reactives and require much more active 'maintance' by healers.
    This is why, historically, the 'total' healing for wards was least, then reactives with HoTs having the most, theoretical, healing out.
    If the max healing on all three is identical, the actual healing for the weakest heals (HoTs go way down).

Currenly, in PGs, no warden HoT ticks for double digits (and ALL warden heals are HoTs, they don't have any direct heals). When incoming hits are for 50%+ max health there is, it is impossible for druids to 'catch up' with damage taken. They're luckly to get a single target above the 50% theshold before the next hit comes in.

Imagine if you changed tanking so tanks couldn't do anything except taunt or they'd lose hate. No dps, no utility, no defensive rotation... I remember when something like that was tested out, actually. It was quickly abandoned because tanks hated it.. it wasn't fun.
    Changing healing so healers have to non-stop mash heal buttons and nothing but heal buttons (and heaven help you if you have to interupt your healing to cast a cure or joust)... is NOT FUN.

Lastly... when heals are percentage based there is, literally, NOTHING a healer can do to get better at healing. Gear doesn't help, AA doesn't help... if incoming damage gets higher? There is nothing, at all, healer can do to deal with it.
    Take that one step further and imagine it in live content... why give healers any gear at all? They don't have time to cast anything besides heals... and the gear doesn't help them TO heal... it would drive healers too other classes (or out of the game) in droves.

The percent based healing in PGs drove me out of those.. and the only PQ I bother with any more is Hate.. and my raid geared warden can't keep the raid geared SK I heal for regularly alive in there any more. My husband plays a mystic (on the same raid force) and he couldn't keep the same SK alive on Scornborne either.

One particular thing of note.. balancing healers is NOT about balancing the heal parse.... it's about making it so all healers can do the job.. since the heal parse only counts healing done (unlike the dps parse which counts all outgoing damage) and that some heals count before others and damage reduction doesn't show up on the parse and will actually reduce a healers heal parse... balancing the heal parse doesn't actually equate to all healers contirbuting equally

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Pouncer

Pouncer New Member

I've long said the best way to balance heals is to give reactives a damage reduction and give regens (or fury direct heals) a stoneskin proc (or a stronger damage reduction). On top of that, though, they just need to stop the one-shot mechanics of raid fights so that non-warders can be viable again. It really wouldn't take much to bring about balance but the devs seem to have no interest in doing so. Their commitment to Flavor of the Expac(s) is beyond stubborn.

3. morderir

morderir New Member

i dont find your post in eq2 forum ...got deleted ? where was it posted ?

4. JaySynn

JaySynn New Member

As a returning player, and a new healer, I find this discourse VERY enlightening. Thanks for helping those of us nubs understand the healing mechanics a bit better. Keep up the good work!

5. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

It was posted in the zones and population section.. it appears to still be there.

6. Inire

Inire Not really an evil duck, just misunderstood.

DR is calc'd before all other damage is applied. Literally the most powerful way of "healing" and bypasses a lot of internal damage code. was true at least a year ago based on a ton of raid testing.... unless things have been super changed, which I doubt.

7. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Here's an example of what devs think is a good heal proc... this drops off SoH T2 raid mobs...
    https://u.eq2wire.com/item/index/2350228061

Here's the heal proc
    When Equipped:
    • On a healing spell cast this spell will cast Enmitic Escalation on caster. Lasts for 30.0 seconds.
    • Builds charges of Enmitic Escalation.
    • Cannot be modified except by direct means
    • Must be engaged in combat

Applies Entwined Enmity when Activated. Lasts for 15.0 seconds.
    • Heals group members for 20.0% of caster's max health
    • Heals group members for 5.0% of caster's max health every 7.5 seconds
    • This effect cannot be critically applied.
    • Increases Max Health of group members by 12.0%
    • Requires 25 stacks of Enmitic Escalation to cast.
    • The casting time of Entwined Enmity is 2.0 seconds and the reuse time of the spell is 2 minutes

And THAT is why we should all be VERY afraid of their brainstorm/brainfart/whatever of having all healers heals be % based

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Uh oh, they used the S word...

9. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Unclear how the stack works...does it require individual casts to gain each stack? Are stacks triggered based on the number of people healed? Some combination of both?

In any case, that item looks like a pile of crud-o-la.

If this is the way they plan on going in the future, yay for hot healers...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  10. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

It seems to be per heal cast... not per people 'hit' with heals.

And it absolute garbage for HoTs healers. 20% max health and then 5%, twice, 7.5sec apart? That doesn't cover a single hit, let alone the damage that happens in the '15 second' the 'heal' lasts for.
    Besides, if you know a good healer that ENJOYS doing nothing but pressing 3-6 heal buttons constantly, I'd be shocked.

• Agree Agree x 2