1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Will Daybreak games shut down in 2 months?

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Sweatypie, Apr 23, 2018.

1. CoLDMeTaL

CoLDMeTaL Active Member

I would not buy EQ3, knowing what I know, and I would advise those I know not to as well. It will just be a cash grab. I said the same thing about Landmark, and while some 'loved' their decorating time, I felt that was an honest assessment. Of course, I didn't buy it or try it.

• Agree Agree x 7
  2. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

I bought it, but got an immediate full refund when they were offered, thank god.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Probably because the people who are still playing EQ1 and EQ2 love those games specifically and aren't going to leave them until they shutdown; EQ3 (if it exists, which... c'mon, of course it does) isn't going to be targeting that marketing segment at all because it simply wouldn't get the numbers they want out of it.

4. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

Probably as EQ1/EQ2 is as good as dead to them when/if they get EQ3 out successfully. Those likely aren't their target market either for EQ3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

All true, I'm sure.

Not just about players from the eq franchise though. The DBG brand had earned itself quite the reputation.

6. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

Think about it this way;

DBG's bad reputation is known to everyone who plays DBG Games.

So 9000 IQ marketing tactic, don't give a **** about those players, and go for anyone else. Most people I know have no idea who DBG are.

7. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Spend more time lobbying for red panda mounts and less time plagiarizing my posts! j/k, great minds and all that.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Valid argument!

9. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

Maybe they don't care about EQ/EQ2 players, but many of us play multiple other games and word of mouth can spread far and wide via those tentacles. I personally would never recommend any game attached to DBG and I am sure I am not the only one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Well, social media and the internet does make it difficult to hide the reputation of a company.

Pretty sure the execs believe they can manipulate their way around that. Perhaps they can

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

To be frank, the internet is so full of complaining over every little thing that I don't think this will have much effect. Sure, there's some small population of people who will listen to random internet person's opinion, but if the game is good people are going to try it regardless. Hell, even people currently swearing off DBG will probably cave into curiosity and at least try it out (don't come in here and say "Not me," a) I don't believe you b) I don't mean literally everyone swearing off DBG).

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

This is all assuming DBG survives long enough for eq3 to see the light of day, or, they can find a buyer for the ip who doesn't view DBG assets highly risky.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

So it's Holly who will turn the light's off then ?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Endymion and Errrorr might be right. They may be able to produce a game where the reputation of eq3 > reputation of DBG; either because of quality (doubtful) or because they create a game that markets to a different segment (unfamiliarity).

Two things, though.

One of the fatal judgment flaws of the eq franchise going back a long time, is the misguided notion that all you have to do is dangle something new and shinie in front of people and they will forget all about the past. This is an error. People tend have a long memory for bad experiences, and a short memory for good ones.

Secondly, company reputation always matters ***right now***. It is also flawed to believe you can throw people under the bus today to sell them something shinie tomorrow. The point I made above aside, i assume money made today is useful toward the accomplishment of future goals? It's much cheaper to stay on top of things than try and recover them later.

Really, the best hope for an eq3 (imo) is if someone buys the ip, clears out the current management culture, and markets a fresh start to an iconic franchise.

• Agree Agree x 6
  15. Neiloch

Neiloch Member

Target market? of Course not. Considered audience? Absolutely. Any IP that abandoned its key past factors has almost always eaten ****. If EQ3 isn't a PvE focused MMORPG it's very likely to fail miserably. If they like money they will be borrowing liberally from the likes of ESO, GW2 and to a lesser extent FF14. If they have some balls they might try to innovate while staying within the scope of PvE-centered RPG (complete abandonment of the holy trinity would be nice). Anything else will be a spectacular failure with people who both like and dislike the everquest franchise not touching it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

They probably will market EQ3 the same way they marketed Landmark and H1Z1. For Landmark they used some of the biggest minecraft youtubers, and for H1Z1 they used the big streamers on Twitch that played battle royal ARMA3 and DayZ. That segment had no knowledge about SOE/DBGs bad reputation.... If they survive as a company long enough for EQ3 to be released that is...

17. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

• Informative Informative x 3
  18. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Most comments had the same general tone as we do:

"Pretty sure this is troll. BUT, most of this is plausible, and Daybreak is most definitely stupid enough to build eq battle royale....well ****, dunno what to think about this...."

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Uxtalzon

Uxtalzon Member

- Daybreak doesn't deserve the EQ franchise.
    - Daybreak doesn't deserve to make an EQ3.
    - Daybreak should instead be put through the ringer over its past history.

I'd rather trash it on forums and push for Holly to squirm in a public light than give EQ3 a chance, because I'm all but certain it's not a game we'd enjoy.

The best Daybreak has produced since becoming Daybreak is low-rated "Mixed" reviewed games.

• Agree Agree x 6