1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Future of EQII

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by felix, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Well, no stream is going to be the same visual experience as playing it. And if eso can do a better than average job of it, well, that's well done for them.

In any case, we can ask:

1. Why do no prominent streamers stream it? Quality? Consumer interest? Developer relationships?

2. Why does does eq2 not pursue the same strategy? Why don't they actively engage streamers to promote their game?

TLDR:

What would have to be true for eq2 to be able to profitably employ the same strategy?

EDIT: In economics, what ESO is doing is called a "signalling strategy". They are saying, don' take our word for it, listen to other players, and evaluate both the good and bad. That takes confidence and a willingness to be transparent, which creates credibility and trust.

People and organizations are always signaling information, both good and bad.

Eq2 would never employ this strategy, not because the game is visually unattractive, but because they can't offer the same transparency and generate sales.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

I don't disagree with your general point re: transparency, there's just a lot of reasons why doing the streamer thing doesn't really make sense for EQ2.

3. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you on that. Eq2 should be a case study on how to have talented developers, create something cool, and then management fail it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

Except that I think the developers are an equal part of the problem. They have been receiving feedback over the last 2 expansions prior to POP in which people were complaining about p2w, endless grinds, class imbalance, etc. and ignored it. In POP they seemed to continue with the same basic elements that people didn't like before and totally ignored class balance which they promised to fix. I would like to blame all of the problems on some nerdy account on the 3rd floor, an evil overlord manager or a greedy share holder, but I think the blame can be spread equally among all. Don't forget the screen shots of inappropriate developer comments.

• Agree Agree x 7
  5. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

DB could choose to pay a streamer or streamers to push EQ2 if they wanted to but again that is marketing which they don't believe in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

EQ2 is one of the worst MMOs to stream. The content drought have been on going for many years. People who watch MMO streamers wants to watch hard PvP or engaging PvE content.

EQ2 has no PvP. EQ2 has very easy heroic content. EQ2 raiding is not hard, 8 out of 10 encounters are spank 'n tank and the other one has walk X yards to avoid X or some obscure panic script if the raid group is too good. The last case is when 9 out of 10 guilds remaining in the game has no chance of killing it..

Ill also like to comment and say that I think the average EQ2 player in 2018 hardly or extremely rarely watch someone stream. I dont think they are the target audience at all.

People will only watch Bob solo quest or decorate his house so many hours before moving on to a newer and better MMO stream.

The developing team either lack the knowledge, the budget or the passion to change the game and are just clinging onto their seats because its a steady income. They also refuse to listen to any form of criticism which has hurt the game severely over the last half decade. Why would anyone want to support such a game other than the fact that they had already invest an entire decade to it?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
  7. Ruckus

Ruckus Member

CohhCarnage used to play EQ1 last year, and even got a raiding guild started up. People actually sat there and watched him mindlessly grind XP to level.

8. Charlice

Charlice Active Member

Feldon, this post made my blood boil. He even looks like an arrogant pig.

None of them play it, let's be real here. I bet not one of them has played it for years.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

My suspicion is the following actually play EQ2;

Gninja (Raiding)
    Jamiss (casually)
    Ttobey (casually)

I don't think any of the others are actively playing this game any more.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

To clarify, when I use the term "management", I am referring to anyone who has the authority to make strategic decisions about acquisition, allocation, and disposition of company resources. This is why, with respect to eq2 or DBG in general, I often speak to the "management culture".

Ultimately, as things sit today, things can and should be traced back to Holly, and prior to that, the other executive producers.

The behavior of Caith, Kander, or Lauren, or anyone else is Holly's responsibility vis a vis what ever chain of command has been extablished - that is on her.

Obviously, the reason a strategy of promoting with streamers won't work today is because no one is interested in streaming it. And that's because:

1. It's a bad, boring game with very little to do, so the streamers don't want to play it.

2. It's a bad, boring, and expensive game, so consumers don't want to buy it.

That being said, a strategy like this is certainly no going to be embraced by the team today because they know the product is mostly bad. They need to rely on deception and manipulation to generate sales. Transparency and third party promotion simply will not work.

In addition, the management culture of this company has rightfully landed it into the marketing space it occupies today. They are great at coming up with cool ideas and building cool games, and terrible at running a business. And mostly, I believe, the issue rests with my impression that they (with some notable exceptions) have not, and currently do not, respect/value their customers.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

True, but EQ1 is a special nostalgia beast.
    Yep. Since I don't actively play anymore, I sometimes look up YouTube videos of raid encounters to see what I've been missing and it always looks boring as **** in terms of presentation. Sometimes there are interesting mechanics happening behind the scenes, but from a viewer's perspective you're just watching someone play the UI (complete with 10+ hot bars) and ACT essentially.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Inire

Inire Not really an evil duck, just misunderstood.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  14. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

She's also busily locking and editing threads!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  15. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Funny how she was busily liking all the posts speaking to misinformation about the game....until people started blowing up misinformation being spread by Fyrelyte and the bubble gnomes, then she locked it.

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. Uxtalzon

Uxtalzon Member

"Curious where EQ2 is going."

"Thread locked."

Pure irony.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I almost never report, but I did on the rather hostile/misinformation post that Fyreflyte liked, just so I could point out it is exceptionally unprofessional for any member of The Team, but especially a DEV to slap likes on posts that are not only spreading misinformation and are fairly hostile, but also break their forum rules.

That's just... bad.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. Ruckus

Ruckus Member

Raids seem to be easy Tier 1 raids. To get into T2, you need to kill one of the harder encounters, yet the some of the other T2 fights are tank n spank, with a few others being DPS checks. The first T3 mob combines a DPS check with needing 3-4 people to be awake for ~10 minutes to joust together to one spot while assassin robots are being kited around with someone in a robot suit. I've been told a few mobs after that first T3 are easy, but then a few more DPS checks happen in T3.

19. Pink Poodle

Pink Poodle New Member

I'd be totally okay if Cyanide Studio bought the IP.

20. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 2