1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Moving On...

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Fuli, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Did any of you have a chance to watch the Ashes of Creation live stream?

It's a dev alpha pass.

Pretty rough and buggy, but the world and combat animations looked pretty good.

Systems were interesting.

If they can pull off the vision they have, this will be neat game.

Lots of former eq and eq2 folks building it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Really excited to see what that team is going to do being freed from the shackles of EQ2 in terms of technology and lore.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Yeah, me too.

One if the things I'm finding really impressive is just how fast they are moving the project along. Especially considering all these really interesting AI and machine learning concepts they've been talking about.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  4. Quidam

Quidam New Member

Wait...what? Lore a shackle?!?

5. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

Ashes of Creation is one of the titles I'm keeping track of, as well as Chronicles of Elyria and Camelot Unchained.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

As I was watching the live stream, I had flash back of Georgeson's pitch for EQN. He's standing there selling the **** out of the AI, rolls out a demo, and we later find out devs were operating the mobs lol.

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Senya

Senya Member

I had looked at Ashes of Creation, but I'm not a fan of PVP. The open world PVP element concerns me. The FAQ mentions something about a flagging system that is supposed to deter griefers, but I'm skeptical. I much prefer separate servers for PVE/PVP.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I believe there will be a PvP check. No one will be forced into doing it. Will just have to wait and see how it will work.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

Not so sure about that as it mentions static PvP zones at certain Points of Interest. I am always interested up until the mention of PvP and then I just move on as its not a game for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Yeah, you guys are right. Looks like they are gonna stick big penalties on for griefing flagged players.

12. Wurm

Wurm Active Member

If they do it like Star Wars Galaxies it will be fine for the people only interested in PVE. They had three states (its been years since I played, so this might not be 100% accurate but it will give you the gist of how it worked).

Overt: PVP faction flagged all the time. People playing the game for the PVP.

Covert: Member of a faction but not flagged for PVP unless doing PVP/PVE faction content (if you attack a bunch of rebel npcs as an imperial you get flagged) or attacking a Overt player. Once you did either you had a timer, which when it ran out you went back to being Covert.

Neutral: Not interested in either faction strictly PVE.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

It was called the TEF (Temporary Enemy Flagging) system and was a brilliant solution.

Want to know more :)

https://www.raphkoster.com/2015/04/15/star-wars-galaxies-tefs/

I am surprised that others didn't adopt it as was a great solution for mixed PvP and PVE populations.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I'm fine with PvP as long as I can turn it off. Eq2 was my first mmo, and I played on Vox.

I really enjoyed the open world PvP, but after a while, there were times when I just wanted to quest orf harvest without being stalked.

If AOC sets it up right, I think the pve only crowd will be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Senya

Senya Member

This looks like in AoC even if you are a "non-combatant" another player can still kill you. Even if you don't fight back you still "drop a moderate amount of loot". If you do fight back you get flagged as a combatant for PVP, unless the person you are fighting is a "corrupted".

I assume being corrupted is supposed to be a deterrent, but in my experience, that will do very little to deter someone who just wants to grief others.

After seeing this video I definitely have lost all interest in AoC. It looked like a good game up until I started hearing about open world PVP. If it had worked like what was described in SWG I'd have been fine with that, but this just doesn't interest me.

16. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

Sadly a lot of the new MMO's that are coming out are PvP ones. I was very interested in Camelot Unchained due to its crafting system however it is at its core a PvP game. /sigh

17. Nolus

Nolus Member

Yeah, unless they have a no PVP server. It's just bleh. I hate PvP for a reason, mainly griefers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I've been keeping an eye on Camelot Unchained. I never played Dark Ages, but I understand from those who did that a large number of the problems it had - especially later on - stemmed from trying to support the PvE aspect of what was envisioned as an RvR game.

CU cuts out the PvE advancement, but there are definitely non-combat ways you can advance, and contribute to your realm - as well as earn rewards.

One way is as a crafter - which is its own class, with its own specializations and missions/tasks in the Realms that will be crafter focused.

There will also be scout classes that, while you might see some combat, are not primary combatants and get to do things like spy on and mark enemy targets and assets.

19. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

It wasn't perfect. If you played a healer, as I did, even while playing neutral content if you healed a group member that was still flagged for pvp then you ended up flagged for pvp. It made it very difficult to group with your friends if they also played the pvp game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

Remember the entertainer bug? Where if someone /watched you to heal faster and were flagged, you got flagged? Cantina Chaos.

They did fix that one, though.

• Winner Winner x 1