1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Future of EQII

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by felix, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Quidam

Quidam New Member

LOL Faarwolf....that bring back memories...;)

2. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

Anything but glowing praise was deleted by Grimwell and Gnobrin with extreme prejudice. People were banned for not liking things. Honestly it's very similar to where we are now with Discord.

EQ2Flames burst into existence because of a perfect storm. People literally had no place to talk about class balance or any objective conversation whatsoever. The fact that the site was started by a drug-addicted lawyer who thought he was God's gift to eq2 is coincidental. Plot twist: He later found God.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

Back to the original post - yes I agree. I think the end is near but who really knows. Things "feel" desprate. It makes me sad even though I have quit playing and paying. I spent so many years of my life in EQ and EQ2. I logged in recently just to grab the new Erollisi Day recipe books on the off, off, off chance I ever return and hearing the music made me feel wistful. But the times I enjoyed playing have passed now due to the direction of the game in the last 2-3 expansions.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Nolus

Nolus Member

I suppose rehashing the past doesn't give much purpose besides lessons. But, there was a bit of damage done including to the relationships of devs/players.

Is it possible for daybreak to turn things around at this point?

A lot of work to gain support and trust back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Feldon

All the bogeymen and easy targets of blame are gone. When all variables are removed, you have to look at the constant.

Open disdain by the 3 main developers of game for their customers makes that unlikely.

A tone deaf Community Manager makes that job 10 times harder.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

In a word, doubtful, bordering on impossible.

Player/Publisher interaction:
    To start with, they need entirely new staff, perhaps with the exception of Kaitheel and ttobey. Everyone else has to go.
    Then, they need to move discussions to the forums instead of discord, and accept criticism, even strong criticism, without simply deleting posts and banning the poster. That means, they need an actual community representative, or better yet, advocate, and not a "Manager". The discord channel should be returned to player moderators, and the red-names need to be removed from any official role. They didn't start it after all, they just got the "Power of the Gods" in their heads and use it as a place to receive worship. Actually, that is about what the forums are as well now.
    Interact with the players, after all, like it or not, ultimately, the player-base is the source of the "Team's" paychecks. Most of the totally off-the-rail discussions on the "Official" forums has come about simply because nobody on the "Team" would answer a simple question. They just let things go until they decided it was time to delete posts, threads, suspend, or ban. In at least three in the last two months, I contributed, along with some other now banned members just by trying to derail the threads and bring them to a close. Oh, yeah, that is another thing... CLOSE threads, block further replies, but don't delete them entirely. No matter the dissatisfaction expressed, they were there for a reason. If they turn into a shouting match between MEMBERS, respond, defuse it, or Close them. Deleting is just plain wrong.

Marketplace:
    Next, while I understand that the ability to "Pay To Win" is desirable by some people, it needs to be modified. Say that perhaps you can only research up to Master levels, rather than GM's. Ditto the other items, merc, familiar crates... They should NOT be current, or rather, cutting edge content, they should be at least one expansion back. Then provide an Actual way to Earn the current/cutting edge rewards In The Game, and not by giving a 0.0000000000122% chance at a drop off of a T4 raid mob. Prestige housing, appearance items, "Fluff" things are fine, as they don't affect gameplay for non-purchasers. I don't even think they should have the Exp/vitality potions on the store, they also should be droppable (and tradable) items.

Actual Game-Community:
    There is not cure for the Platflation at this point; I was even amazed at how quickly platflation showed up on Fallen Gate; I'm not even sure how that happened... were transfers between Fallen Gate and IoR allowed? Oh, IoR... Should be made like Drunder. One way only, no return, just not account wide.
    Instance-dropped items should pretty much be freely trade-able, no restrictions. Not heirloom, not for 48 hours in group, not Heirloom... but fully trade-able. People farming instances is not an issue, as new instances are spawned at need, so no competition. No-Trade should still apply to heritage, signature, and any other quest that gives a reward for personal completion.
    There is a cure for Statflation. And that is stop it. (None of this will ever happen, but I can dream)... Stop Adding new Stat's. Stop invalidating older stats. The basics really were good enough, and encounters should be designed to deal with the basics... STA for everyone, AGI/STR/WIS/INT by archetype, and then the bonus ones, mit, wdb, dc, crit chance, crit bonus, block/parry/riposte chance for everyone. Build a toon the way you want to, not just be forced into one path.

General Game Development:
    Actually develop the game! The last three expansions really haven't been expansions. Zones were pretty much re-used, just mildly re-skinned. There is no exploration. There is no real progression except "Do the sig line (if there is one), then repeat the same thing over and over until your eyes bleed. Personally, I have been going back to zones that I somehow skipped over, and finding a LOT of content to do. ToT was almost decent, KA, not so much, and PoP is just plain stupid. Having to resort to MANDATORY REPEATABLE QUESTS is not a sign of good design. And then, they only lead to more repeatable instances. Aside from raids (which I really don't care about, since my guild quit during KA), the last three expansions have just been "Figure out what new stats are needed, grind for them, and figure out which ones to eliminate from gear", and then grind, grind, grind...
    There was a tremendous opportunity to follow along the lines of EQ1, and make travel to Luclin possible again, and incorporate many overland zones, even if based loosely (or directly copied from EQ1) and new stories. But that would require actual design, and thought, and, well, I guess one questline and instances are "Good enough"; at least as far as the "Team" is concerned. In EQ1, Luclin added Many many overland zones, each with character, and flavor, and stories. Here, we have nothing.
    The scripting is also over the top. Like there is no direction. Scripted encounters are okay, as long as they are done well, and there is some flexibility in the script. With EQ2, there is not flexibility. "Follow the Script, of Die! Muuuhahahahahah" seems the strat of the "Team".
    No Joke, they had a YEAR to develop PoP. A Year. And it is something that could have been (and probably was) done inside of a month.

---

I'll stop now, but notice, I didn't call anyone out negatively by name, (though I really wanted to), and didn't swear once.

--K

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Feldon

The zone and dungeon/raid designers generally don't post. All the folks under Tim Heydalaar (art director) are knocking it out of the park. And Im ok with quest designers Kaitheel and Chrol.

It's the mechanics, progression, and overall game design that make no sense.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. IakeFD

IakeFD Member

Kaitheel could be tedious to deal with as well, maybe that's changed or maybe it's just minor in comparison to what else is going on. Remember the broken sig (or heritage? I forget) line in AoM that he insisted insisted insisted for weeks that people just weren't doing right.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

I remember radarx once saying on the forums that every one from top down is a part of the decision making process with regards to the direction of the game and that they all swim or sink as a team. I guess I am wondering who is directly responsible for the later part of your post...or is it all of them?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Nolus

Nolus Member

**** I think we are screwed. Daybreak CEO is Columbus Nova exec, Ji Ham.

Sure they know alot about a game company :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Lock It! Lock It! x 1
  11. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I honestly believe DBG gives zero craps about turning the game around.

It's simply about extracting as much money as possible from players during any given quarter.

P2w, bait and switch selling, community alienation, unfinished releases, reduction in game play/content/quality...whatever it takes.

This nonsense with crafting is just a way to phase that part of the game and suck them into the more profitable grind + crap rng + pay to get out mechanic.

It absolutely baffles me that players are spending money on what the game is now.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 6
  12. Nolus

Nolus Member

Daybreak Game Company Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

16 Employee Reviews
    Sort: PopularRatingDate
    1. 13 Jan, 2018
      Helpful (3)

[​IMG]
      "Great Coworkers, terrible management"
    Former Employee - Game Master in San Diego, CA (US)
    Doesn't Recommend
    Negative Outlook
    Disapproves of CEO
    I worked at Daybreak Game Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only reason why I gave this place a two star is because they have some good hardworking people in Customer Service.

Cons

- Poor to no training for new hires. I requested multiple times to receive training but was never given.

- As a new hire. When asking for help people seem to give you two answers. Just give me the ticket in my name or just the flat out answer with no explanation on how you got to the answer. Doesn’t help a person who is trying to learn the procedures.

- A lot of the tools we use on a daily bases don’t … Show More

Advice to Management

None, because I know they will read his and laugh and continue to do the same thing they've been doing

5 Jan, 2018
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee
    Recommends
    Neutral Outlook
    Approves of CEO
    I have been working at Daybreak Game Company full-time

Pros

Get to work on games and show creative artwork and solutions to different problems

Cons

Politics and favoritism over loyal and talented individuals just to climb the corporate ladder

1 Dec, 2017
    Recommends
    Positive Outlook
    Approves of CEO

Pros

I love to work here cause new ideas come every day.

Cons

I cant really say there's a con i love working and i love to help with ideas of the game known as dc universe online.

21 Sep, 2017
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee
    Doesn't Recommend
    Negative Outlook
    Disapproves of CEO
    I worked at Daybreak Game Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ Location: San Diego is an amazing place to live. Buzzing restaurant scene, beautiful beaches, easy commute, reasonable cost of living.

+ Work / Life Balance: No crunch, good hours.

Cons

- Leadership: Schizophrenic and completely unorganized. Constantly changing plans that disrupt and demotivate team members. Games are treated like line items on a budget sheet. Zero interest in building a positive brand that gamers love. Complete and total lack of focus.

- Tools: Archaic and limiting. You cannot do your best work at Daybreak because you will always be fighting the tech the games are built on. … Show More

Advice to Management

Enable your people. Make decisions.

Recommends
    Neutral Outlook
    Approves of CEO
    I worked at Daybreak Game Company full-time

Pros

Free snacks, free drinks, and they'll even give you the games to play with.

Cons

Not much to say other than it's owned by bankers and not SOE anymore.

Advice to Management

Help with team building seems that everyone was out for themselves and less about helping each other.

1 Feb, 2017
    Pros

Fantastic people who are are passionate about their work. Great work environment and a nice studio as well.

Cons

None that stood out.

20 Jan, 2017
    Doesn't Recommend
    Neutral Outlook
    I worked at Daybreak Game Company full-time

Pros

Small team, good dedicated ground-level people.

Cons

Management is absolutely schizophrenic. People have been promoted largely due to layoffs, and thus you have a combination of managers who are both unseasoned, and not cooperative with each other.

Advice to Management

Invest in more people. The skeleton crew you guys are working with is making quality suffer badly.

16 Dec, 2016
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)
    Recommends
    Neutral Outlook
    Approves of CEO
    I worked at Daybreak Game Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Skilled employees. Lot's of old timers. Passionate employees who really want to create great games but soon realize the senior design staff is not capable of understanding basic design philosophies.

Cons

Senior management doesn't understand the biz. Company is run by bankers. None of the development staff respects the management.
    Culture has been completely dismissed.

Advice to Management

Sell this company to capable owners before it's too late. You are trying too hard to be like the "Big Boys" but you really need to graduate middle school first.

5 Jan, 2017
    Recommends
    Positive Outlook
    Approves of CEO
    Pros

Great development team. Fun experience

Cons

Management wants to focus more on updates that will profit then actual bug fixes and game improvements.

Advice to Management

Listen to your audience.

21 Jan, 2017
    Current Employee - Game Developer in San Diego, CA (US)
    Doesn't Recommend
    Negative Outlook
    Disapproves of CEO
    Pros

The team tries their best, but are stifled by poor management.

Cons

Overall terribly run, management focuses more on updates that will create profit then actual bug fixes and game improvements.

Advice to Management

learn how to run a game company.....

Showing 16 of 18 reviews

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2018
  13. Nolus

Nolus Member

1. 29 Nov, 2016
        Helpful (8)

[​IMG]
        "Things are looking up!"
      Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)
      Recommends
      Positive Outlook
      Approves of CEO
      I have been working at Daybreak Game Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice location, offices, and people. Nice benefits, including extras like free fitness membership.
      Flexible work hours, able to work around peoples medical issues.
      Lots of potential in current and future projects. Recent changes are for the better.

Cons

A bit management heavy. Taking a long time to break old habits.
      Communication from upper management is lacking.
      Trying to put too much into games in hopes to attract players, instead of focusing on making the core solid and fun.

Advice to Management

We have far too many managers for the amount of developers. It's causing more wasted time in meetings and doing extra crap just for managers sake.
      There needs to be less of you.

1. 27 Oct, 2016
      [​IMG]
      "Has issues like anywhere, but overall great place"
      Recommends
      Positive Outlook
      Approves of CEO

Pros

People. Very talented group of people at the studio. New management is great, they have an open communication and design policy. Benefits are great!

Cons

Sometimes you can feel a little in the dark. If you are the type of person who doesn't feel comfortable asking questions, you could spin yourself into a negative place. Once you ask, management is usually willing to talk about anything. Pay tends to be lower than other places in the industry.

Advice to Management

Be more forthcoming about things. You may have an open policy, but if you are not constantly telling people what is going on, they can sometimes start filling the gaps on their own.
    2. 9 May, 2016
      Helpful (7)

[​IMG]
      "Fun but not inclusive"
      Former Employee - Intern
      Recommends
      I worked at Daybreak Game Company (Less than a year)

Pros

Great "Daybreaker" culture, the people are nice, they just got a shiny new building for themselves

Cons

They didn't have a good new employee/intern immersion program. Day 1 was basically, "Here's your desk. There's the kitchen. There's the bathroom. See you at 5." Interns, at least, were pretty isolated.

Advice to Management

Implement a better way for interns to feel like they're part of the team and can connect with the other employees.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Nolus

Nolus Member

That is some insight =/

15. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

The reason we have youngsters like Roxanne and Lauren in wtf over their heads is I have a hard time believing any experiened gaming professional will touch that company with a 10 foot pole.

Mostly interns and green peas who don't know any better (new hires).

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

"
    Pros

Free snacks, free drinks, and they'll even give you the games to play with."

Hrm... Now I know where the new crop of "DBG is AWESOME" fanbois (and, fangurls) are coming from!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Feldon

Thanks for reminding me of this "We all fail together or we all succeed together" circling of the wagons shortly after the changeover to Daybreak happened. It felt like "You're either with us it against us". They installed a huge wall against criticism and outlawed the singling out of individuals. It was memorable as a significant pushback from the company. The first of many.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Ashes of Creation bought their game engine, but also has a license to modify the code. This saved the a ton of time.

But the really iintetesting thing for me is, that company has been able to recruit a lot of really experienced and talented gaming professionals.

This is a kick starter company. The people they have on staff could work just about anywhere.

In many ways, I am struck by the fact that they are really just buildng EQN, but without all the dysfunctional management. In fact, many of these folks are eq, eq2, and eqn vets.

I watch the dev alpha live streams and am pretty blown away by how much progress they make between each of them.

These guys know wth they are doing. I really hope this game comes together.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

This is why games companies are currently mad on whale farming as your player base can decline but your revenue can increase in the short to medium term.

20. IakeFD

IakeFD Member

It was clearly nonsense, the type of thing you say when the rabble wants someone to blame. Hopefully no one took it seriously.

• Agree Agree x 3