1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Future of EQII

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by felix, Jan 26, 2018.

1. felix

felix New Member

With the things that happened lately and the future arrival of the long awaited MMO's I have a feeling that this year or the next couple of years maybe will be the last for this game.

Will we even get TS timeline? Probably...

Will we get a new expansion at some point later this year and will I invest money and time in it after all that lag, bugs, unfinished content, failed promises? Doubt it!

But I want to stay positive because I love this game for its lore and for the friends that I made.Its so sad.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Charlice

Charlice Active Member

If only it seemed that DBG and/or the Devs cared about EQ2. I think that's half the frustration, the players seem to care more than the people responsible for getting the game out to us.

A good start would be issuing Roxxly with a personality, or replacing her with someone that has one.
    That role could, and should be, such an important one for the game to alleviate players fears, even if for nothing more than to bring in more revenue for DBG. I for one won't spend a cent more than my sub now, maybe that's just me.

Her role should be more than just deleting responses to the point of not even being able to follow threads.

To have a 'Community Relations' role one would think she would/should have a relationship with the community. I don't see it, but it wasn't visible with Roshen /shudder, or Radarx either.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

In the last 9 years, EQ2 had a competent Community person for barely 3 years:
    • Kiara mid-2008-Jun 2010
    • Luperza (Margaret Krohn) Feb 2014-Sep 2014
    • Afista Sep 2014-Feb 2015
    The rest of the time we had Amnerys, Isulith, Dexella, Piestro, Roshen, RadarX, and now Roxxlyy.

I may have tunnel vision for Kiara's contributions. I talked to her daily for her last year-and-a-half at SOE. Forgetting the tawdry history, did she fulfill the role of Community Manager? I think so. She listened to players, brought things up with the devs, and got questions answered, which is more than I can say for the bunch I listed above. But if someone has genuine reasons for not counting her among the few useful CMs we had, I'm all ears.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Charlice

Charlice Active Member

Kiara will always be my favourite.

5. Feldon

Maybe I'm jaded, but "Community Manager" to me has taken on almost a sinister overtone. Like Genghis Khan. They manage the community. They do damage control.

It's also important to remember that Community Manager at SOE/Daybreak answers to Marketing, meaning they exist primarily to collect and prepare reports for them to look at. Afista gave me a hint of the mountains of paperwork that had to be done just for simple things. Stories had to be written, edited, approved, and staged days in advance of their appearance. Getting something up on everquest2.com was like planning a shuttle launch.

When you have a dedicated CM, I expect daily interaction. I expect liaison between players and devs. I expect monthly Q&A chats. So when things spiral out of control for days, I wonder what they are actually doing at the office? We may never know. Smaller, more agile game development studios don't shackle their staff with busywork.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Eq2 has a marketing dept?

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

Having 10 community "managers" in 14 years shows you what a shitty work enviroment there is at DBG.

Either these people are not allowed to do their job or the people higher up just doesnt care and have not cared for a long time.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Dellmon

Dellmon Member

Perhaps this is being a bit nitpicky, but I do think it goes to emphasis the point even more...

While Feldon's message above highlights ten different names who have acted in the role of EQ2 Community Managers - - - there are even more names I believe. Off the top of my head, there also was (in alpha order) Ashlanne, Blackguard, Gnobrin, Grimwell, and Moorguard.

Adding these folks to that list thins out that timeline even further I would say...

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  9. Feldon

Gnobrin and Grimwell were painful CMs. They created a massive audience for EQ2Flames and pushed hundreds of players to move there just to have any kind of useful conversation. Devs ended up having to post there. Fortunately someone discovered that Gnobrin was a decent 3D artist and put him on EQ2 making armor and weapons. I don't know where Grimwell ended up.

Blackguard and Moorguard were legendarily good but before my time. My vague recollection is, their interactions with players were too permissive and made Marketing uncomfortable.

Ashlanne was more of the absentee landlord type of CM. She always seemed overworked to me. I don't know what happened when she left SOE, but she's hit hard times. There's a GoFundMe. Not a laughing matter. :(

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

Brief aside. I posted an equipment glitch a friend has experienced for a few years - on human males, if you equip gnomeskin boots and a hat, your beard disappears. He was able to track down the culprit (the attached dagger) which also apparently affected troll ears. (I mean how does that even happen)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Nolus

Nolus Member

Faarwolf (didn't really like her style, but she was ok.) Raijinn, I liked Raijinn. Gnobrin was good, Grimwell so so. Not horrible. Kiara same as Faarwolf in hindsight I guess. My experience was not too pleasant with her. But it also didn't help she was having relations with Brenlo ( I think?? ) which was kind of a pisser to finding out after complaining to him about her.

Blackguard and Moorguard were not CM. They also ended up getting schilled by Curt Schilling. I'm not much into baseball but that's some shady **** that happened there.

CM is not a high end job, theres turn over, but they all should care about the games they represent.

IIRC anyways.

But regardless, I feel like they are just doing a job. Barely at that. :(

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

What did Brasse do?

13. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

For me, the short story version is the a CM should be an advocate for the players focused on those areas Feldon mentioned.

With the exception of a few people, this has largely been absent at eq2, and is certainly not the case with Roxxly.

This company seems perfectly happy to take it's customers for granted, exploit any remaining loyalties, and alienate those who voice concerns, objections, and criticisms about the quality of their product and their business practices.

Roxxly seems to be just fine with advancing this perception.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Nolus

Nolus Member

Brasse I believe was CM for the Everquest Franchise, unfortunately she did hire RadarX. I can't remember the full extent of her role. But, was a shame they let her go. She did care about the game and community. Though, I totally disagree with her RadarX decision. Everyone knew he was a dick.

They also should be an advocate for the game and players. Also, they should foster a community!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dellmon

Dellmon Member

If I remember correctly (though to be fair a lot of the historical records has been lost to ummm...history), he left at that time Sony Online Entertainment around 2009ish to join Zynga back when they were have much success with social media platform games like Farmville.

But there is a chance I am mis-remembering this...

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Nolus

Nolus Member

I know Raijinn went to Zynga. Can't even find anything on him. (Grimwell) So not really sure what happened to him.

17. Inire

Inire Not really an evil duck, just misunderstood.

18. Feldon

I've always been confused on this point. A thread from EQ2Flames doesn't help:

Re: Devs Taking Shots at Moorgard & Blackguard?

According to EQ2Flames, Grimwell's real name is Craig Dalrymple. And that's enough EQ2Flames for one day. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Dellmon

Dellmon Member

I do believe that both Steve "Moorguard" Danuser and Ryan "Blackguard" Shwayder were Community Managers for EQ2 at one time (possibly the first and second in a long line). I do believe that they later transitioned from Community to the game development teams, but they both start out as CMs.

These links I believe support that as these refer to them as Community Managers
    Two Interviews with Moorgard
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/moorgard
    Blackguard Named New Community Manager For EQII!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  20. Nolus

Nolus Member

Ah yeah. You are right, my memory is not great I guess. :(

I guess the next question are we talking about CM's or CR's (Community Manager/Community Relations) LOL Faarfwol = CR Blackguard CM? Raijinn = CR Moorgard = CM? Gnobrin = CR Grimwell = CM

As far as the whole eq2flames thing, I do not recall the details but it was somewhat a misunderstand as I heard it. Doesn't really matter now though. There was a whole bunch of crap that really fell out from all that. But I do think LFG felt entitled and was angry he got kicked from the eq2 focus group, whatever it was called. I am pretty sure there were a few entitled feeling people in there in that group.

Ryan is Nerfbat.com, ironically he works on WoW now. =/

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1