1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

PoP: RIP tradeskilling

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Mermut, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Charlice

Charlice Active Member

Ark is great fun! I'd recommend it to anyone. Even more fun if you rent your own server. The official servers are a bit of a slog, the player run servers can close at any minute, but are not as much of a grind as you can set your own rules/multipliers.
    If you go the PvP route, make sure you have a exterior of steel, it's brutal.

2. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

For what it's worth I've been back in LOTRO for a while now and really enjoying it. Very active community, great tradeskills, and while the house decorating is not up to EQ2, at least it has housing with some degree of customization.

3. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Lock It! Lock It! x 1
  4. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

I don't wanna shill too hard, but I'll throw out another recommendation for Elder Scrolls Online if you like Elder Scrolls gameplay at all. The game is buy-to-play, but paying the monthly fee will get you $15 worth of crowns (their in-game currency), access to all of the DLC they release (which are like EQ2's adventure packs from back in the day), and a special inventory bag that allows you to have unlimited crafting items. It's a game I feel good about giving money to, and they do a good job of supporting a variety of play styles. It also has housing, but I've never been into that kind of stuff myself so I can't say how good it is.

Edit: One more thing I'll add; if you played the game in beta and found it to not be your cup of tea, give it another shot. ESO has changed dramatically since launch; both myself and the group of friends I've been playing it with all hated it during beta but they've done a good job of turning it around. Its redemption story isn't quite as dramatic as FFXIV's (since they basically rebuilt that game from the ground up), but it's still impressive.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

Same here. I was actually surprised, but glad to see, that even with Mordor out, the shire, and Bree were packed with people crafting, playing music, chatting, and just having a good time.
    Actually, since apparently you don't have to log in to get the monthy give-away coin, I've been accruing it for a long time. Enough to buy a prestige Kin house, with a ton of decorating hooks, and even better, no maintenance!
    We are enjoying it there still.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

The tradeskill timeline and content for KA was, in my opinion, very well done. And that's what that award is based on, I'd guess.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

(re: the award)
    That was probably in their bucket list. Once they got notification of receiving it, they cancelled (or most likely never started) and TS def for PoP.

8. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

Thanks to Domino I suspect. I had a bad feeling that once she left the crafting community would be screwed. You could tell she really loved crafting and I will always cherish what she did for the crafting community.

• Agree Agree x 8
  9. Semperfidelis

Semperfidelis Member

Well that was probably due to last expac, which certainly focused a lot on crafting and the quest was really fun.

OTOH, I finally finished my first crafter to level 110, but I still don't have all the books. Here's the math:

Average 13 rush orders / level
    x 6 combines per rush order
    x 10 levels
    x 10 main materials per combine (golden ember)
    -------------------------
    7800 main material per crafter that needs 101-110

Idk about anyone else, but I have NEVER gathered even 1/10th of that in one sitting. I usually come back with around 300 of most mats, possibly as much as 500 if I've been looking for ultra rares.

I ran out of main mat twice and plumewit hides once. I ran out of vitality twice. So that's a minimum of two weeks if someone wants to use their Hammer instead of buying a vitality potion.

I sold some items as soon as I could so I could afford to buy mats. I bought 5000 or so mats, so that means I harvested 4x as much as I ever have. To do the next crafter, I'd have to harvest again, or sell more. The kicker is.. to make something useful, I'd need 10 plumewit hide (an unrelated mat to my crafting class) for one item. So even selling items is a material drain.

IMO this is a result of their giving us too many mats during Beta. We didn't have a chance to say "hey that's too many" - who had time like that?

How do we convince them to let us play ABC music here?

10. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

The hell of it is that we did. Over and over. We pointed out the sheer number of materials required and how difficult it would be to get them strictly by harvesting. We listed exactly what an average writ took, in materials and fuel. We gave our general harvesting rates. We asked that they remove the materials from the beta vendor to get a true test. We gave feedback, we gave numbers, and we did it often and over many threads.

To their credit (Kander specifically), they did end up radically adjusting the materials, the fuel, and the harvesting nodes (both in quantity and how they spawned). Kander even spent some time harvesting and adjusted the values based on what he found, which was very much appreciated. Unfortunately, a few hours of "walking in crafters' shoes" isn't enough to get a feel for what a drastic change this was to the playstyle. :(

That's why it's so important to crafters that they have an advocate on the team. There is more to it than "a stable of alts" and "mindlessly pushing buttons".

(tl;dr - We did tell them the beta vendor made the feedback skewed, even asked for the materials to be removed. ;) )

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    • Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Appreciation x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  11. Semperfidelis

Semperfidelis Member

Sigh. I really didn't know this.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Inire

Inire Not really an evil duck, just misunderstood.

i am really unsure of why they didn't just copy/paste the stuff from the previous tiers of content when they had a dev who could do this stuff *cough domino cough* and just change the outputs/names for quests.

seems like a pretty easy thing to do really. they're obviously willing to copy/paste zones and quest stuff for the over world and heroic zones.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

Just an added note, apparently, they don't even accept if you "Like" too many negative posts at the official forums.
    My ability to "Like" any post has been removed.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Fishy Fishy x 2
  14. Charlice

Charlice Active Member

..... that's all sorts of sad.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

Sad and amusing.

Guess they have got to the barbarians are at the gate stage. Drawbridge is up, moats filled and the battlements are maned.

16. Semperfidelis

Semperfidelis Member

Good thing my ancestors were Mongols.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Senya

Senya Member

Wow. That's just... o_O

Edit: This just kind of stunned me. I've been aware of DBG purging posts they didn't agree with, which is bad enough, but now someone has decided to remove the ability to like a post as well. What are they doing/thinking?!?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
  18. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

I can't tell if the ship is sinking or if it already went under and some people just haven't realized it yet.

• Winner Winner x 3
  19. CoLDMeTaL

CoLDMeTaL Active Member

Blup. Blup. Blup.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

I'd toss you a Totem of the Otter, but my woodworker is on strike due to PoP.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1