1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

PoP: RIP tradeskilling

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Mermut, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

That the players have the impression that the Team no longer considers tradeskills a priority is entirely their own fault, no conspiracy theories needed. It is flat out broken, ill conceived and poorly implemented.

What little tradeskill 'content' did make it to live, from many player reports, feels like a drunken afterthought.

Personally, I don't think it's unrealistic to expect quality tradeskill content in a prompt manner, which they have thus far failed to deliver. And I agree with Ursa Minor's assessment a few posts down in that thread.

The last time the sentiment 'because we didn't think it was fun' got used was when they finally got around to admitting that a game was cancelled - phrasing.

All the more grateful we have the forums here, because much of the tradeskill criticism has been as constructive as one can expect given the frustration levels and spot on, though it's very gracious of Gninja to allow us our opinions on their shoddy work.

• Agree Agree x 7
  2. Nolus

Nolus Member

It's funny, you could tell that Domino was an everquest 2 player. It's hard to remember that Gninja was also an everquest 2 player long ago. I still don't believe they even ever started on the quest line. And, well if they did care about crafting they would have given it high enough priority to have someone dedicate some time to work on it.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Malleria

Malleria Member

Or, y'know, hire a replacement for Domino? Wait, nvm, then they couldn't pocket her salary...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Aaaaand.. with no white adornment recipes in game yet... they give... TINKERERS temporary adornments.. readily available from the guild recipe merchants.

Seriously, the dev team has no f-ing clue about tradeskills and crafting...

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

Feels more deliberate than that - as if they hate TS.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Charlice

Charlice Active Member

I don't believe for one second they even started on a tradeskill line. Not fun? Like grinding writs is fun?
    Like spending every minute in-game harvesting is fun?

Someone on forums was crapping on about how awesome it was that the plants now give the new mats! They don't even give enough mats for a sage or provvie, to do ONE WRIT FFS.

Exactly what have they done this expansion to make anyone think they care about tradeskills? I'll tell you what, A BIG FAT NOTHING.

A bit off track but you know what else irks me, the tradeskill apprentices is what. That was a paid 'feature' and when was the last time they were updated?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
  7. Ursa Minor

Ursa Minor New Member

All right, you made me create an account just to say "thanks!"

I've been trying to hammer home on the thread Over There that the overarching concern is not the individual issues themselves; it's the demonstrated lack of development concern towards tradeskill programming, easily seen in the dreck they've tried to fob us off with. I know my frustration is bleeding through in my posts, but I have been a programmer for almost half a century, professionally for more than three decades, and the quality of work the DBG team is putting out makes me cringe just being tangentially associated with it.

I have the itchy feeling on the back of my skull that there's a ban hammer poised over me, but to quote Gus (the CIA analyst assigned to the Canada desk in Canadian Bacon), "Like I care!"

• Appreciation Appreciation x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the show. We're not EQ2Flames. We just like being able to talk without being under constant threat by someone who seems unwilling to say No to the development team. It takes years of learning the hard way to become good at Community Management.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  9. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

I don't think they are actively trying to scuttle things. I think they just didn't realize how interwoven and complex the tradeskilling side of EQ2 is, and that it is a complicated system that needs to be balanced on many levels. I think they are adventure-focused devs that are completely overwhelmed at taking over everything Domino built over the years, and for some reason are hesitant to admit it.

The frustrating thing is that the crafting community is one of the most amazingly helpful group of people I've seen. There are resources galore in the community that they could be leaning on, many people who give good feedback about why materials are distributed they were, what harvesting is truly like, what it's like to live the tradeskilling lifestyle. They would be happy to help through the transition of Domino leaving.

And that amazing community would be extremely understanding if a dev were to admit "You know what folks, Domino left some big shoes to fill. Give us some time to get the hang of things, keep the feedback coming, we will do our best to do right by you and by her legacy."

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

The development team have responded aggressively towards the suggestion that players help them in any way with design, planning, balance, etc. I think they see themselves as misunderstood artists and we could not possibly grasp the complexity of what they create. I think they're afraid that if they give an inch and let players help, they'll be out of a job.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Appreciation x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Lock It! x 1
  11. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

Damn it, I need a "sad" reaction...it would get used so much. :(

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

Seems to me that there current approach is also taking them to the unemployment queue.

• Agree Agree x 7
  13. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Ain't that the the truth.. if I'd started this thread over there I'd have been out on my ear almost before I'd finished pushing the 'post reply' button.
    It's nice to have a place where we can be frank about the state of things.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

I've gotten several warnings, and had multiple posts deleted on the "Official" forums, and have seen many many other posts vanish into the ether.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Lock It! Lock It! x 1
  15. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

I'm actually not sure how I've managed to avoid similar. I've been pretty critical of their 'decisions' about tradeskiling across the board as well as the insanity that is how orange adorns are 'unlocked'.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I'm right there with you. While I didn't test, and won't purchase, this expansion, I've tried to help keep the issues that you and others have raised at the forefront. Politely, bluntly, and vocally.

As well as call out misrepresentations of stuff when I see it.

I'm surprised on the daily when I can still log in. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Rosyposy

Rosyposy Active Member

I "disliked" this because that's the closest choice to sad.

18. Charlice

Charlice Active Member

It's all too hard now to class as enjoyable. It sure as hell isn't fun.
    I feel like they've destroyed tradeskills, or they have at least for now. Tradeskills had become useful again, now not so much.

I also might be in the minority here, but there's not one of the instances I'd even want to run again after doing the sig line.
    Too many scripts, too much trash, and visually unappealing, to me.

I can't even get into Frostfell this year, maybe it's finally the end for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  19. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

New adorning recipe \aITEM 308541830 -812696468:Rune of Championship [V]\/a
    requires 100 fragments.... and still no real way to get fragments.. and zero response from devs

The TS hole keeps getting deeper and deeper.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

I agree 100% on all counts there.
    And I don't care about who owns EQ2, the Devs and the <cough> "Producer" are 100% solely responsible for this (and the last) (And even the one before that, ToT) brainless, no thought, no content, blatent money grab. They should be ashamed of themselves, but I feel they bust be inherently too anti-social to even feel shame.

The stated excuse to drop the tradeskill sig line (which I seriously doubt there ever even was one) was "It wasn't fun, we didn't want to publish something not fun" is complete BS. For the entire expansion, you made ONE overland zone, with mini-quest lines that could be run in a day. And you still had to insult the PAYING players by falling back on the zero creativity, zero thought, zero effort repeatables, but you decided that that was "Fun" ? And then after the horrible Adventuring sig line, you have left us with absolutely nothing but a couple boring, and annoying repeatable instances to grind through until the next expansion? Really? And THAT is FUN?

I have a few things that I must do because of promises I made in game, but once I fulfill my promises, I"m pulling the plug on EQ2 and going back to LOTRO and maybe play with Ark some.

This "Expansion" might have been worth it for a couple hundred (literally, 200) DBC in the store. It was definitely not worth pulling a credit card out for. Just because of this unmitigated disaster, I won't even raise a slightly interested eyebrow if they decide to release another expansion next year. Honestly, I wish they would just pull the plug on the entire thing, and release it to the Public Domain so we could make our own servers. The DEVS and the PRODUCER have killed EQ2 for good.

No, you can't have my stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1