1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

How do I replace an ingame sound?

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Muffincookie, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Muffincookie

Muffincookie New Member

Im currently looking to replace one annoying spellcasting sound that the Channeler is making.
    Its the one sound when they are casting their Arrows, the channelingsound.

I have located the sound by using a program called eq2vpktool.
    I have read in other places that you can infact "replace" a sound simply by taking another one that you like better and naming it the same thing as the one you want to replace.

I have found 2 ways of doing it...placing it here..

%EQ2%/UI/Sounds

%EQ2%/UI/<skinname>/Sounds

When I use eq2vpktool the directory is..
    sounds/spells/spell_sounds_2013

Anyway, I have tried every possible way that Ive read to make this to work.
    I have put it in UI/sounds...in my UI folder and sound. Ive even tried to use the exact same folders that the tool says its in.
    Ive added the bluddy sound everywhere and still it wont use it.
    I read about a guy in a very old thread that wanted help with a sound and he got this advice.
    Am I doing it completly wrong?..why cant my game "use" the new .wav file instead?

2. Wurm

Wurm Active Member

Sign me up to make the skeleton's cackle go away! :p

3. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

Have you tried PM'ing a dev on the forums?
    I didn't know that you could change sounds via the UI folder, I thought that they were all based in the memory based temp folder for when the VPK's were expanded.
    If you tried to re-pack a VPK it has a high possibility of being overwritten on a full file scan with the patcher too.
    If you are successful with doing it via the UI folder let us know.

4. "Brains! It's what's for dinner!" - how can you not love that lol:)

5. Mysstie

Mysstie Member

I must be one of the few using the White background theme. I had to highlight the yellow text to read it. :)

6. Semperfidelis

Semperfidelis Member

I was able to create a Custom folder and add sounds to it. But I only know for sure it works for the Guild Hall music.

(your install folder)\EverQuest II\custom_music\zones\Guildhalls

A similar technique might work for you. Changing the UI music just gets refreshed back to the original one whenever it's accessed.

As a stopgap, you can turn off the 3D sounds I think, or just turn it way down. The only time I think 3d sounds are essential is when I'm experimenting. Hope that helps!