1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Macro and ACT timer for Goblin Skull Earring

Discussion in 'Items, Equipment, and Mechanics' started by Shmogre, May 13, 2017.

1. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

EDIT - 20170917: Heads up, the devs changed the heroic version of the earring to have a casting time. This means you can't do it all in one macro now, and have to re-equip your "real" earring separately *after* the Goblin buff has finished casting.

The upgraded raid version of the Goblin earring is still insta-cast when used, so a single macro will still work.

EDIT AGAIN - 20170923: DarqUI has added configurable gear buff macro buttons to answer a lot of these needs. Many thanks to Darq for the nod and the mod, and to Rosy for letting me know <grin>.

Hey all...made a basic timer for the Goblin Skull Earring to remind myself to refresh it and a friend suggested I post it for others who might find it helpful. It's not the fanciest, but it works.

(I made the assumption that folks interested in this are already familiar with macros and ACT, so feel free to ping me if you have questions or would like more details. I'm not an expert, but I'll do my best.)

Summary: Macro to equip/use/swap/say, trigger based on the say, timer for 60m starts and warns you when you get 100s from it expiring.

-----

First you'll need to have (and keep) the earring in your inventory, then make a macro to equip, use, swap the earring and let the world/group/guild know you did it (needed for the timer). Don't forget to put your toon name instead of Shmogre's. ;)

This works because the proc on the earring is instant cast (you can also use the macro trick for something like the Fishbone Earring). You can't do a one-stop swap for something that takes time to cast (like the Earring of the Solstice); in that case, I've got two macros: one to equip and use, and another to swap it back out.

The macro:

[​IMG]
    (a cool trick: you can drag any spell or item into
    the icon box in the upper right to use that icon)

You can use any version of /say for this (local, group, guild, etc.), you just need to get that phrase into your logs. Use whatever you think will be less irritating to people around you. <grin>

Now import the trigger and timer into ACT (change "Shmogre" to your toon name):

<Trigger R="Shmogre refreshed their goblin earring" SD="Goblin earring refreshed" ST="3" CR="F" C="Timers" T="T" TN="Goblin Skull Earring" Ta="F" />

<Spell N="Goblin Skull Earring" T="3600" OM="F" R="F" A="F" WV="100" RD="F" M="T" Tt="" FC="-16776961" RV="-600" C=" Timers" RC="F" />

Note: The "Custom Warning Sound" doesn't get included, so if you want it to tell you to refresh your earring, you'll need to add that to the timer (click the "..." on the left and choose "Text to Speech", then put whatever you want it to say in quotes) then click "Add/Edit".

The next time you use the macro, you'll get a voice telling you the earring is refreshed and you'll see an ACT timer window something like this:

[​IMG]
    When the timer gets to 100s remaining, a voice will remind you to refresh your earring.

Like I said, not fancy, not pretty, but it's been helping me keep the combat mitigation debuff up more regularly. :)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Wurm

Wurm Active Member

Thanks! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

Hello "a friend". :p

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Copy/Pasting the timer portion into group chat doesn't yield the 'add' prompt the trigger portion does. Suggestions on the best way to get that portion into my ACT?

5. Uyaem

Uyaem Member

ACT has a tab where you can import directly, I think it is called Import/Export

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

I've used that for xml files, but I'm not sure how to use it for individual triggers/timers

7. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

To import copied text triggers/timers:

In ACT, go to Options, Configuration Import/Export, and click on "XML Share Snippets". In the right side, there are four boxes; the fourth/lower-right box allows you to paste in copied triggers and timers to import:

[​IMG]

Paste the text you want to import into that box and click "Import Above Data" to add them to your timer/trigger list.

(If you mouse over the areas on the right, a wall of text will pop up under them with more detailed information about each box.)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

And if you were curious about how often the earring proc hits:

<Trigger R="YOUR Grim (Strike|Aura)" SD="earring hit" ST="3" CR="F" C=" General" T="F" TN="Grim Strike|Aura" Ta="T" />

-----

EDIT: Ugh, just realized Grim Harbinger also has a proc called "Grim Strike", just like the earring. So this trigger is useless for helping shadowknights figure out if the Goblin Earring is proccing reliably during normal combat. >.<

On the bright side, Grim Harbinger procs on melee, while the earring procs on spell, so at least that covers it. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Does this work for the timer portion? That's the big I'm having problems with. The trigger portion I can manage.. but I've never done timers and I'm not sure where the set-up for them is.

Yeah, the timer portion gives an error when I try to paste it in there.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  10. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

Hey Mermut...yeah, you import the timer the same way (paste it into the box and click "Import Above Data").

To see your timers, click on the "Show Timers" button in the upper right of the ACT window:
    [​IMG]

That will bring up a "Spell Timers" window:
    [​IMG]

Right-click on that window to bring up the "Spell Timers (Options)" window:
    [​IMG]

Expand the "Timers" settings and you should see the "Goblin Skull Earring" timer you imported (if you don't see it, try clicking "Add/Edit" to refresh the list).

Clicking on the timer name will bring up the options, including name, length of the timer (period), when the warning kicks off (max is 100s before expiring), and so on. This is where you can also change the warning sound/speech, set a starting sound, and other tweaks you might want.

Note: The "Custom Warning Sound" doesn't get included, so if you want it to tell you to refresh your earring, you'll need to add that to the timer (click the "..." on the left and choose "Text to Speech", then put whatever you want it to say in quotes) then click "Add/Edit".

(One thing that's kind of cool: If you prefer a radial clock type of countdown, check the "Show Radial Timer Display" and retrigger the timer.)

Let me know if that doesn't make sense...hope it gets working for you!

EDIT: You may have to click "Add/Edit" in the Timer Options window to force the added timer to show up after pasting it. (Updated the steps above to include this.)

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

When I paste
    <Spell N="Goblin Skull Earring" T="3600" OM="F" R="F" A="F" WV="100" RD="F" M="T" Tt="" FC="-16776961" RV="-600" C=" Timers" RC="F" />
    in the widow you mentioned I get the error "Invalid XML: Use this field to paste XML share text.

I managed to set up the timer myself give the small 'tutorial' you included. So I'm all good. Thanks for the idea and the help!

• Like Like x 3
  12. Halfbreed

Halfbreed New Member

Thanks for the info, Schmogre!

Tip: Create a channel named Shmogre_Trash or whatever and put your unwanted says into that channel. That way you don't have to spam anyone.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

Huh, weird...that's concerning. I tested it a few times while writing that up, and just imported the exact string you posted in your comment. I'm using version 3.3.1 release 255 in case that's an issue.

Awesome, glad you were able to make it behave, sorry for the troubles. In case it is dumb for other folks, here is a screenshot of the timer settings:
    [​IMG]

One thing I noticed on a fresh import: The "Custom Warning Sound" doesn't get included, so if you want it to tell you to refresh your earring, you'll need to add that to the timer (click the "..." on the left and choose "Text to Speech", then put whatever you want it to say in quotes) then click "Add/Edit". (Edited original post with this info.)

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

Very welcome...thank *you* for the awesome idea, implementing it now!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wurm

Wurm Active Member

How does your heartbound timer work?

16. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

Heh, good eyes. :p It's the same idea as the earring trigger/timer combo, but it goes off the message you get when you first rekindle the bond (so no macro or /say needed).

<Trigger R="Your Heartbound bond has been rekindled" SD="Heartbound refreshed" ST="3" CR="F" C="Timers" T="T" TN="Heartbound" Ta="F" />

<Spell N="Heartbound" T="1800" OM="F" R="F" A="F" WV="100" RD="F" M="T" Tt="" FC="-16776961" RV="-600" C=" Timers" RC="F" />
    (with a Custom Warning Sound: tts "refresh heartbound soon")​

(If the 100s warning is too short (it's the max allowed right now), then you can tweak the Timer Period to end a bit earlier.)

If your heartbound partner also has the trigger/timer in their ACT, they'll also get the message and the timer starting, which is cool.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wurm

Wurm Active Member

Any way to fix this in case the HUGE NERF doesn't get set back to the way it was before yesterday's patch?

18. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

Not as far as I know.

Because of the casting time, you'd need two macros: one to equip and use, then a second to re-equip the prior earring after the buff finishes (same for the Earring of the Solstice and Cloak of Crystalline Waters).

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  19. Wurm

Wurm Active Member

Yeah, I thought as much, lets see if they really do change it back next tuesday. Funny how they always break something before a big weekend then let us wait.

20. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

A little bit of constructive thread necromancy...
    This concept is useful with the new 'snacks' introduced in PoP. I used the 'tutorial' here to set a timer up for the snacks I use and they work like a charm.
    Thanks again for the post and ideas, Shmogre!

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1